Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Gossip at the school gates

(5 Posts)
josie14 Wed 14-Sep-11 17:54:48

I feel a little stupid with this one as its trivial stuff. Women I have been quite friendly with, casually, have suddenly started to treat me like I'm beneath them. Its subtle messages - looks, putdowns and a general boredom with me being around them. I cannot think of why they started to behave this way towards me but get the feeling I am being talked about in a disparaging way among them. My logic tells me to steer clear of them and not waste time wondering whats gone wrong but there's a piece of me that wants to know and feels I should confront them - but if I do, they will probably make me feel I am imagining things. Should I just move on and ignore them?

BeckyBendyLegs Wed 14-Sep-11 18:09:05

I'd just move on I think. You are better than them. They sound like they are behaving extremely immaturely - there must be something about schools that makes grown ups behave as if they were ten year olds again as soon as their children go to school. It happens at my DSs' school too and it makes me feel very sad.

josie14 Wed 14-Sep-11 19:19:39

Yes, thanks Becky. I feel a bit immature myself for allowing myself dwell on it. Gossip is insidious and my feelings are along the lines that it leads to a kind of chain reaction where more people get invited to join in. But I guess my role in school life is to ensure my dd is getting her educational and social needs met. I may stay away from them and try to get to know some of the other parents a little. I feel it is important I make an effort with my dds friends parents so she gets included in any plans outside of school.

ThatsNotYours Wed 14-Sep-11 22:03:46

Ever considered that actually you are above them, and they are jealous!!!
Go you!!! X

voicelikeShirleyBassey Fri 21-Oct-11 11:37:51

I agree with ThatsnotYours. Happens at my DD's private school a lot. Ignore them. Pretend you are walking through a field of cows: head down, avoid eye contact with the likely culprits, and don't touch their offspring!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now