Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Group therapy - pros and cons please

(3 Posts)
NorkyButNice Tue 13-Sep-11 12:40:01

I have just started therapy as a day patient at the Priory near me, I'll be doing 4 half day sessions a week.

My first group therapy was yesterday and I found the session (Anxiety Management) really interesting. It gives me hope that things might improve inside my head after all.

The one thing I found difficult was the fact that you can't speak to anyone outside the group about what other patients said. I can totally understand why this is the case, but I really wanted to talk to DH about the feelings and thoughts the session provoked in me.

Anyway, has anyone else gone through it?

orangeflutie Tue 13-Sep-11 14:25:44

Yes I've been to an anxiety management group. I found it quite helpful once I'd gone through the initial worry about attending the first session and whether I'd see anyone I knew etc ..

We were given examples of situations and how to deal with them and were also given a bit of homework. My only gripe was that the session was led by two young women in their twenties who might not have had the necessary life experience. There were also two men in our group who may have benefited from one male leader.

NorkyButNice Tue 13-Sep-11 19:07:03

Thank you for the reply - glad to hear that you found them mostly helpful.

I saw my psychiatrist this evening and talked through the session with him. He seems to think that I have made good progress already from the points I raised with him.

Another session tomorrow - CBT for depression

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now