Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Can you please help me think up a new name for a mental health service?

(15 Posts)
ilikeyoursleeves Sun 04-Sep-11 22:08:46

I work with people who have faced significant trauma in their life & we are wanting to change the name of our service to something less stigmatising than the current name.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas of names for such a service? Many thanks for any responses!

iklboo Sun 04-Sep-11 22:19:42

New Horizons
New Beginnings
Chrysalis

NanaNina Sun 04-Sep-11 22:25:29

I don't like the idea of "new" things because it suggests that this is a fresh start and as we all know the trauma doesn't ever go away, it is a case of making it more manageable. Chrysalis is better (is that the thing when a caterpiller changes into a buterfly) if so it's good but not sure everyone would know what it meant (not sure i have got it right) I have just seen on another thread someone talking about a PTSD therapy unit called "Safeline" which I thought was good, but this is already a name used in Warwick. Or maybe "safe and sound" - sorry can't be more creative - will have another think.

Lottieloulou Sun 04-Sep-11 22:33:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ilikeyoursleeves Sun 04-Sep-11 22:45:20

It's for people with a history of childhood sexual abuse or rape. Currently called the sexual abuse clinic which many people think is too in your face & I agree!

ilikeyoursleeves Sun 04-Sep-11 22:47:05

It's for people with a history of childhood sexual abuse or rape. Currently called the sexual abuse clinic which many people think is too in your face & I agree! You wouldn't have ' the cancer clinic' would you?

Lottieloulou Sun 04-Sep-11 23:01:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SingleMan25b Mon 05-Sep-11 01:15:07

(your area) Lighthouse   eg: Melbourne Lighthouse

madhattershouse Mon 05-Sep-11 01:17:42

Phoenix

dontrunwithscissors Mon 05-Sep-11 12:48:27

I usually don't agree with such re-naming practices, but I can see your point in this case. I think using something suggested by lottielou or singleman25b would be best.

NanaNina Tue 06-Sep-11 23:47:49

Can't believe this is called the "Sexual Abuse Clinic" - that is shocking and small wonder you are looking for a new name. I think LL's suggestion is best though also think Phoenix is ok - in fact anything other than the name it has now.

Bingbangbong Tue 06-Sep-11 23:50:30

Could you ask current users of the clinic for their thoughts on the name, or is that a really bad idea?

DioneTheDiabolist Tue 06-Sep-11 23:51:36

Cocoon, it has conotations of warmth and security as well as change.

NanaNina Wed 07-Sep-11 14:03:53

Oh yes love Cocoon - could be TheCocoon**Centre but agree that service users should be asked for suggestions

ilikeyoursleeves Sat 10-Sep-11 21:19:33

We have asked service users for suggestions via a questionnaire but got a very low response rate and no name suggestions. The staff have therefore come up with some names that we are going to get service users to now comment on. Thanks for everyones suggestions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now