Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

my 13 year old is suffering from anxiety having watched scream 4....

(17 Posts)
Lambcurry Fri 02-Sep-11 21:25:25

My daughter is very distressed after watching a horror film. She can't sleep or eat, dissolves into tears and feels sick. She cannot get disturbing images out of her head. I am considering hypnotherapy for her as I know these things can last a very long time. Can anyone offer me advice please.

Northernlurkerr Fri 02-Sep-11 21:27:04

HOw did she come to watch the film? Was she with friends? Is there anything about the circumstances of the watching that could contribute to the reaction?

acsec Fri 02-Sep-11 21:27:10

Why did you let a 13 yr old watch Scream 4? It's a 15!

girliefriend Fri 02-Sep-11 21:28:06

ummm obvious question but how on earth did she end up watching scream 4?!! Flipping heck would give me nightmares.

Not sure what you can do except I'm guessing with time images should lessen for her, if having panic attacks then talk to g.p.

Lambcurry Fri 02-Sep-11 21:28:38

She was on a sleepover with friends.

1over Fri 02-Sep-11 21:29:16

I have only seen the first scream and that scared me! your poor daughter fraid i dont have any ideas to help hopefully someone will have soon

kylesmybaby Fri 02-Sep-11 21:30:58

probaby the reason horror firlms are rated over 18 years of age. who in their right mind let her watch the film in the first place.

i tried to explain to my 10 year old the reality behind 'the boy in the striped pyjamas' when it was the tv this week. i could see it was scaring him much more than informing him. he said when he woke up in the morning he had had a nightmare.

kylesmybaby Fri 02-Sep-11 21:31:55

opps sorry ... i didnt see it was rated a 15.

Northernlurkerr Fri 02-Sep-11 21:34:19

Ok - I thought it might be a sleepover angry

I would talk about how this is a film specifically designed to shock and upset. The scenes are built to play on your fears, make you jump - so adrenaline surges through your body. I've just checked out the plot on Wikipedia and it sounds like a pretty big betrayal of trust/people not being what they seem is a key plot part. That may be causing her to feel upset as well.

I would get her out in the fresh air this weekend as well. Long walk, some nice cake. If she is nervous about going to bed then encourage her to read something soothing (Little Women comes to mind!) Have a nightlight on.

Above all assure her that the things depicted were horrible but they are actors. It isn't real. It won't happen to her.

I would also give the parents concerned hell btw!

Allboxedin Fri 02-Sep-11 21:34:38

Your poor dd, I can relate. I can't watch anything like that (even now at 32!) as I have a very vivid imagination and get images stuck in my head.
Personally not into hypnotherapy and the like so can't advise there, but for the meantime can you try watching some 'nice' stuff, maybe a comedy or something, something easy going to try and wipe these images away. Maybe go on a shopping trip or do something she really enjoys.

ThatsNotYours Fri 02-Sep-11 21:35:37

Ok. For me at a tender age it was watching/going through all of the credits at the end of the film = not real and mum talking me through each credit - not judgmental but this is how the movie was made. Still works for me! X
Ps always hated clowns... Still do! X

Lambcurry Fri 02-Sep-11 21:48:22

Like the idea of going through the credits. We've been out today to a local farm with her bro and dad. Then I thought a ride on her loan horse would help but she even had a panic attack whilst riding round the sand school. Dreading tonight. Hope she will be able to put into practice some strategies we have researched on the web today...

Northernlurkerr Fri 02-Sep-11 21:52:41

Please tell me you have taken it up with the parents of the friend - I am livid on your behalf.

Lambcurry Fri 02-Sep-11 22:02:56

I intend to though I need to be careful in case she gets teased at school.

WorzselMummage Fri 02-Sep-11 22:04:48

She'll get over it. I remember getting freaked out by IT when i was about 13. It only lasted a couple of weeks maximum.

MetalSian Fri 02-Sep-11 22:11:33

I quite vividly remember watching The Exorcist at around that age.
Even writing that word now I don't like.
It really freaked me out for a while, but I remember when I couldn't sleep cos I was so worried I would have a toy or something I felt like would be protecting me.
I know that may sound ridiculous but to a 13 year old mind it helped.
I still worried about it for what felt like forever but eventually I didn't think about it every night.

I'm still not good with horrors movies, wouldn't watch one out of choice, and anything to do with possesion makes me put my fingers in my and and go 'lalalalalala' xD.

Lambcurry Fri 02-Sep-11 22:19:05

Thank you for taking time to give words of encouragement. I really hope you're right. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now