Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

My drugs are not working.

(46 Posts)
TheOriginalFAB Fri 02-Sep-11 20:30:30

If I go more than 24 hours between tablets I crash. I have been on these for a few months, maybe a year and a bit, not sure but they are not doing me any good if I have to be so rigid in when I take them. It just isn't practical. I feel so down at the moment. I am struggling with being a mum, I am getting over two bad asthma attacks, have no family and just need something to give me back me.

madmouse Fri 02-Sep-11 20:33:52

FAB we talked about this a few weeks ago. Have you asked the doctor for a change?

TheOriginalFAB Fri 02-Sep-11 20:39:34

I haven't had chance to go to the doctor as I have had the kids every day. I am just getting things down while I work out if I need a change of meds or it is just that I am struggling with 24/7 motherhood sad.

madmouse Fri 02-Sep-11 20:42:22

24/7 motherhood is tough - I couldn't do it. But not having meds that work for you makes it harder! Get thee to the doctor. Make time.

SingingTunelessly Fri 02-Sep-11 20:44:17

But if they are helping you why would you want to go more than 24hrs between them? confused Has anything changed to make you feel worse?

TheOriginalFAB Fri 02-Sep-11 20:44:42

I just don't understand what is going on. Why are they not working/helping any more?

TheOriginalFAB Fri 02-Sep-11 20:45:25

I don't want to go 24 hours or more. If I take one at 8am and the next day not until 10 or later, I crash.

madmouse Fri 02-Sep-11 20:47:30

FAB a) you are not taking them regularly enough, that never helps with them helping b) your circumstances may have changed, how you feel may have changed and you may need a different dose

TheOriginalFAB Fri 02-Sep-11 20:49:57

I have to take them at the same time every day and it is just not practical to do it. I have put them by my bed so I can take them first thing but you know how manic mornings are with 3 young children. I just feel trapped, alone, pressured, tired and sad.

madmouse Fri 02-Sep-11 20:53:42

FAB if you had diabetes or a heart condition you would take your meds every day. This is no different. Time to take care and responsibility for yourself.

TheOriginalFAB Fri 02-Sep-11 21:02:15

I take them every day, just not at the same time. I never take care of me.

ThatsNotYours Fri 02-Sep-11 21:03:19

You haven't had time to go to the docs, and you don't have time to take your meds when required. Sorry if this sounds tough but not sure how to help . sad
Hugs though! X

madmouse Fri 02-Sep-11 21:05:18

FAB only you can decide to stop neglecting yourself. It obviously bothers you or you would not keep posting about it. So there is motivation to do it. It's something so small and easy to do that there is no reason not to.

riverrock Fri 02-Sep-11 21:15:10

You need to take care of yourself so that you are able to care for your children , sorry if that sounds harsh .

SingingTunelessly Fri 02-Sep-11 21:17:28

Fab, I have a medical condition that requires me to take my tablets every morning. The alarm goes off I grab my glass of water from the night before and take them. That's it. Why are you struggling with that if they make you feel better?

TheOriginalFAB Fri 02-Sep-11 21:21:21

There is always other things to do and I am not good at putting myself first. The kids some first.

SingingTunelessly Fri 02-Sep-11 21:24:47

Well no actually - if you are struggling to cope with day-to-day life you need to take your medication. That's it. Just take the tablets if they are helping you. The children won't thank you for being a grumpy/ill mum will they? Not sure what else to say to you. Sorry you are struggling though.

OriginalPoster Fri 02-Sep-11 21:28:40

Wasn't someone going to help you with the dcs when you were feeling bad this week? You need to get them to have them again, and get to a doctor. It's more important than anything else you can do this weekend. Get yourself seen. Even if it's the weekend. You know yourself that asthma can be serious. Take care of yourself.

TheOriginalFAB Fri 02-Sep-11 21:30:10

I know it all looks so easy and I seem stupid by not just taking the tablet at the same time each day.

OriginalPoster Fri 02-Sep-11 21:33:57

Can you set an alarm on your phone to remind you? Or a postit on the bathroom mirror?

madmouse Fri 02-Sep-11 21:34:00

FAB keep it real.. The children come first is no reason not to spend 5 secs taking a pill. Going about calling yourself stupid doesn't help.

Lougle Fri 02-Sep-11 21:43:37

You don't seem stupid, but it really is doable smile

Have you thought about taking them at night? Could you take them at, say, 10 pm? Children should be in bed by then, so it's one less excuse not to look after yourself.

This really is part of the psychological part of your illness. You know what is causing the problem. It isn't your tablets. It is the fact that they aren't going into your mouth at the right time!

It's a bit like someone complaining that they got pregnant when they took their pill 27 hours apart, IYSWIM. Consistency is part of what makes it work.

TheOriginalFAB Fri 02-Sep-11 21:45:18

I have a problem with putting myself first when the kids need me for something.

TheOriginalFAB Fri 02-Sep-11 21:47:28

The doctor said I have to take them in the morning. I take others at night. It isn't just about the not taking at exactly the same time each day though. I feel they can't be working that well and if they need to be taken bang on every 24 hours then they are not the ones for me. I have to be on ADs for life, I need some that work for me.

lubeybooby Fri 02-Sep-11 21:50:29

Your kids won't be missing out on anything if they have to wait two mins while you swallow meds in the morning. It's not even two mins, just use a phone alarm or reminder set for the same time daily and get into the habit of it, it will be ok x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now