Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Took me 22 years to openly say it to the doctor. Today was THE day & I get told THIS.

(14 Posts)
fatandheavy Thu 01-Sep-11 17:35:34

Today was supposed to be the first day my much-needed help started. It took me 22 years to make the appointment & see it through.

I walked in the room crying so much I was unable to speak.

Told her I am fed up with food taking over my life. I over-eat. I managed to (for the first time in my life) say the words "I have an eating disorder" & she tells me...

"Have you thought about online shopping being delivered so you can avoid having bad food in the house?". No other advice given despite my request for counselling etc.

I am devastated. Yes of course I've tried that but it's not like alcohol or cigarettes, is it? (No disrespect meant at all - I am just trying to say that those 2 substances are avoidable. Food ISN'T)

So if the doc doesn't care, where do I go from here?

TheMitfordsMaid Thu 01-Sep-11 17:39:13

Well done, you've been very brave. Could you find an overeaters anonymous group, or a 12 step programme somewhere?

Hullygully Thu 01-Sep-11 17:39:19

Well done for going. What you do next is NOT GIVE IN. You go back and demand and insist and rant. Is there another dr you can see at the practice?

It's not that they don't care, it's all about the funding. You're going to have to fight - but it will be worth it.

eaglewings Thu 01-Sep-11 17:39:57

Was this your GP who was so unsuportive?

Well done for getting that far, sorry they were so bad at their job. Is there an online support network that could point you to more helpful people?

talkingnonsense Thu 01-Sep-11 17:40:40

Totally crap gp. Go to another one and don't give up. You deserve help and it is out there for you.

MotherPanda Thu 01-Sep-11 17:42:11

please see a different doctor! I have had a food phobia and i did have to see a few gps before i was reffered for decent councelling - there are also a few charities who have support for those with food disorders, have a google for things in your area. often the charities are better than the nhs for things like this.

well done for taking this huge step - please don't let it knock you back down.

best of luck

ImeldaM Thu 01-Sep-11 17:44:15

How totally unhelpful! You need to see another doctor, someone who will take you seriously. Some doctors are not very good at anything non-physical.

Have you looked at overeaters anonymous, link here, should be able to get some advice.

Hopefully someone else will post with more advice.

WildHare Thu 01-Sep-11 17:47:19

I second the advice to go to another GP. When you make the app you could specifically ask to see someone with a special interest in mental health. There is good evidence that cognitive behavioural therapy can make a difference in binge eating disorder as can certain antidepressants so definitely worth asking for a referral. Good luck.

gillybean2 Thu 01-Sep-11 17:48:33

Did you tell them it's taken you 22 years to finally pluck up the courage to come talk to them and get some help. And that you are in fact in desperate need of help now, otherwise you wouldn't be here to see them now and you need some real and meaningful help now...

gillybean2 Thu 01-Sep-11 17:49:00

And if you didn't make sure you tell the 2nd GP that when you see them

MadamDeathstare Thu 01-Sep-11 17:50:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fatandheavy Thu 01-Sep-11 17:52:59

The doc said I wasn't on the "morbidly obese" scale yet so I had no need to worry.

I will investigate further over the next few days & see what I feel most comfortable with. Thankyou for your support. I appreciate it.

margerykemp Thu 01-Sep-11 18:08:54

People who have never had a weight problem dont have a clue, doctors included.

I dont know if you can get counselling on the nhs but you should be able to get a prescription for alli.

somewherebecomingrain Thu 01-Sep-11 21:51:18

I agree there are some GPs who just can't handle stuff in the mind. They have no idea. They think it's trivial, or it makes them deep down angry or afraid (it is deep shit after all and they can get stirred up by it if they don't understand how to handle it). Others will be much better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now