Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Ginseng, anyone used it? What results did you get?

(7 Posts)
Curiousmama Sun 28-Aug-11 20:12:10

I posted this in health too.

I suffer from stress and panic disorder, usually brought on by very stressful situations. The other week something came to light re: exdh and it was mega shocking. I'm still ok with him, he doesn't know I know. Anyway, I thought I was ok then had a mega panic attack/ fainting episode in the supermarket. Ok one minute then about to keel over. Luckily I was with dp so just sat in the car. I realised it was the stress as had only found out the secret a day or two before.
I really feel my adrenal glands don't work properly, maybe caused by bad living as a youth? Not sure why but I feel that's the main reason for my panic disorder. I smoked and drank from a very young age.
I did a google on adrenal glands, stress etc.. and found a lot of info on ginseng so thought I'd ask at a health shop about it. Went into H&B and saw a compound of 4 types, bought it and have taken it for around a week now. I honestly think it's helping? A bonus is it's curbing my appetite something it claims to do? I hadn't even thought of that until I noticed I'm not as hungry, though I still like my food.
Has anyone else tried it? I know I'll need to take it a bit longer to really know if it's helping but am optimistic I take a multi vit for women too as find stress depletes vitamins.

madmouse Sun 28-Aug-11 20:19:11

If you think your adrenal glands don't work properly get your doctor to look at it!!

The 'science' round adrenal fatigue is very unscientific to be honest and there is no evidence at all that such a thing exists.

If I had serious issues with stress including fainting episodes I would not mess around with ginseng but get proper medical advice. And I am not particularly against herbal remedies, in fact I use them daily.

Curiousmama Sun 28-Aug-11 20:28:49

Oh I do go to the Gp but they have never found anything untoward? Had scans and blood tests.

madmouse Sun 28-Aug-11 20:32:01

well then there is quite probably nothing wrong with your glands and you may benefit from some talking therapy/ CBT counselling to help you manage stress.

No experience with ginseng for anxiety. I use rescue remedy a lot which helps me on the spot and essential oils especially at night.

Curiousmama Sun 28-Aug-11 20:36:31

I had CBT and it helped somewhat. It's not that I 'think' panicky thoughts, my body reacts this way to stress. Believe me the thing I found out would shake anyone though! I'm not a nervous person per se it's just my body. Although it is in the genes, on both sides.

madmouse Sun 28-Aug-11 20:40:54

I'm the same - well I do get anxious thoughts but they don't go very deep - and my body gets far more anxiou than the rest of me!

I'm waiting for CBT to start though - I've used it for other things and I really need to tackle anxiety now. GP gave me some citalopram but I had a massive reaction against it so had to stop.

Curiousmama Sun 28-Aug-11 20:45:14

I take citalopram and it works well for me. I only get flair ups when it's something big. Haven't read any contra-indications to it and ginseng though?
I remember talking to a couple on holiday and we started talking about health etc.. I mentioned the PA and the guy was so shocked. He said you don't seem a nervous type, I said I'm not it's just the way my body works. We're complex creatures though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now