Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anyone have any CBT tips?

(13 Posts)
sunnysunnyshine Wed 24-Aug-11 09:15:29

I'm going to docs to get on the waiting list for CBT but in the meantime does anybody have any experience of this? Anything I could practise pls?

Briefly, I have a history of depression but don't want to go back on ADs. At the moment I keep going over and over some past stressful/hurtful experiences in my mind which is making my mood spiral downwards. It almost feels like OCD - anything can lead my thoughts back to this. I have no need to keep going over and over it (nothing to resolve) but I just can't seem to stop at the moment.

So, has anybody found CBT to work? I know it's not a quick fix I can do in a few minutes but some basic things to help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks

madmouse Wed 24-Aug-11 09:46:40

Yes CBT works but it involves working on your particular difficulties so it is not possible to give you some tips on how to do it.

LawrieMarlow Wed 24-Aug-11 09:51:32

There are online CBT programmes that I have tried but I never really got on with them. I think because no one was checking up on me I found I just couldn't be bothered, so didn't do them.

For me, CBT with a trained professional is what worked and a few sessions was enough to help me to manage my own depression without medication. I did find that the CBT was probably helpful because I wasn't in the depths of depression, which for me meant being on ADs.

madmouse Wed 24-Aug-11 11:01:15

You could try moodgym. Some people have found it very helpful.

LawrieMarlow Wed 24-Aug-11 11:07:59

Another one is living life to the full

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 24-Aug-11 11:17:55

CBT worked for me and it helped me stop the thoughts, which at the time seemed like a video on constant loop.

At the moment I'm reading Get Some Headspace. It's not a cure but may help you to deal with those thoughts until you have your CBT.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 25-Aug-11 12:30:11

How are you coping today sunny? Has this anything on this thread helped at all?

NanaNina Thu 25-Aug-11 14:24:53

There are quite a few books on CBT on Amazon. I agree that it should be a trained therapist who you see.

pinkbraces Thu 25-Aug-11 14:27:23

Ive just bougth CBT for dummies book, Im finding it really helpful. You dont have to read it from cover to cover but find the topics which are applicable to you.
Good luck

An0therName Thu 25-Aug-11 14:51:47

yes found it to work really well - CBT book for dummies good too -but I found working with a theorpist much better - in some areas waiting list for CBT is really long - so I think AD can be a good interim measure - maybe ask your doctor for a different one if you didn't get one with a certain one

sunnysunnyshine Fri 26-Aug-11 12:46:33

Thanks for the replies. Sorry it's taken a while to get back on here...

Went to docs this morning and I'm on the waiting list for cbt now. He said it would take about 4 weeks and I'd have an assessment within a couple of weeks. That's much less of a wait than I was expecting so I'm feeling quite hopeful.

I'll have a l

sunnysunnyshine Fri 26-Aug-11 12:49:52

Oops didn't mean to post that yet...

I'll have a look at some of the books too.

Thanks so much for all the advice!

An0therName Fri 26-Aug-11 12:56:07

oh that's great - if you havn't heard about the assesement in 10 days or so - ring up and follow up - I found it helps them keep you in mind!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now