Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I've done it, off Citalopram for good!

(11 Posts)
vickylou2004 Tue 23-Aug-11 21:50:31

I'd like to offer support to anyone who is thinking of or in the process of coming off anti-depressants. It is something which I dreaded doing but wasn't quite as bad as I anticipated (although difficult at times) and I am thoroughly proud of myself.

This is how I did it, it took me 17 weeks with the first 8 weeks having half my 10mg dose every day, then the remaining 9 weeks half a tablet every other day. I decided to do it VERY slowly as I'd come off them before way too quickly. I had been on them for about 4 years.

To anyone who would like to come off but is worried, you can do it. Anyone who would like to ask any questions then please do.

somewherebecomingrain Wed 24-Aug-11 05:20:29

Lots of questions! I want to have another baby and this could mean coming off them. How long have you been off them? Why did you want to come off? Do you think you're not depressed anymore so that's why you could do it? It's done so much for me - made work easier, stopped me rowing with my partner - won't these things just come back? (you may not be able to answer that last one)

vickylou2004 Wed 24-Aug-11 07:32:32

I had my last half a week and a half ago. I didn't want to be on them forever, they have side effects and also the doc encourages to come off. I didn't want something to rely on and wanted to cope on my own with things.

It's done so much for me too. Made a tremendous difference at first, of course the effects diminished as time went on. But it helped me see life in a different perspective, made me more positive.

If you come off REALLY slowly, it doesn't come back. It can't-the doc said.

strawberry17 Thu 25-Aug-11 08:23:38

It's taking me 5 years to come off mine and in my experience docs are pretty rubbish at helping.

merrydebs Thu 25-Aug-11 12:08:09

This is great news Vickylou, hope to come off my daily 10mg soon too!

LawrieMarlow Thu 25-Aug-11 12:14:14

I came off mine very slowly (took nearly a year I think) and despite not good things that have been happening in the past year I haven't needed to take them again. But I am not saying I will never take them again - if I need them I will take them as better taking ADs than being in the depths of depression I think.

I have found that a course of CBT I had a few years ago really helped.

vickylou2004 Thu 25-Aug-11 13:49:18

strawberry17 Yes I find doctors rubbish, contraditict themselves! How are you coping with your withdrawal?

Thanks merrydebs and what are you waiting for, how long have you been on them?

LawrieMarlow Well done! Yes I've got some spare as I went to pick up my perscription and then decided to do my final step of nothing at all DOH! It's nice to know that they are there tho for the future.

strawberry17 Thu 25-Aug-11 21:57:39

Hi Vickylou2004, I looked back and remembered we have spoken on other threads a few months ago, my withdrawal is going excellently and I am still blogging about it, I just have to accept it will take me a long time compared to most people.

vickylou2004 Fri 26-Aug-11 07:50:34

Yes we did, hi! That's great news, where abouts are you in the process? How long do you expect it to take?

merrydebs Fri 26-Aug-11 17:43:43

Hi. Hoping to start coming off them next month as it would've been 6 months and i do feel fair bit better. x

strawberry17 Fri 26-Aug-11 18:43:01

I am now down to 1.50ml liquid Prozac, 3 years and 3 months in, I think it will take another year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now