Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

i think ive messed up...what do i do?

(14 Posts)
NoNotAtAll Sat 20-Aug-11 10:29:29

i started taking citalopram a week ago.then i had D/V for 2 days and brought everything up,
i wanted to switch med's anyway so i didnt take them the next day,i booked an app at the dr's but they wont see me til 24th.

today im having masssive panic attacks over nothing at all,im snapping and shouting at the DC,
thoughts keep coming into my head that i dont want to be there.
im shaky and my head feels fuzzy.
i dont know what to do.the 24th seems like such a long time to wait.

Upwardandonward Sat 20-Aug-11 10:37:33

Could you ring the out of hours GP? Are you still taking the citalopram?

madmouse Sat 20-Aug-11 10:39:23

Why did you want to switch meds after just a week? They take longer than that to work in the first place.

The 24th is too long if you are feeling this bad. Maybe it's worth calling out of hours for some advice if nothing else. Have you been taking anything at all the last few days?

Your symptoms look like classical quick withdrawal symptoms but from your post I gather you can have only taken citalopram for about 4 days so that can't be it really.

NoNotAtAll Sat 20-Aug-11 10:53:34

sorry,id been on for only a week.
i wanted to switch because i dont want to stop breastfeeding.i thought id be okay dropping a feed a day as suggested by DR but im not.
i stopped taking them two days ago,one day before that i had taken it,but i threw it back up.

i know ive been an idiot.im just so confused,ive different advice from every dr ive seen the last few weeks.
if i call the out of hours,it's only for 'emergency appointments' and the receptionist asks whats wrong with you,i dont think she'd even let me speak to a dr on the phone...

i sorry,im rambling

madmouse Sat 20-Aug-11 11:01:57

'I have a problem with my anti depressants, I'm feeling really unwell' should be enough. If not ring NHS Direct, they will say contact doctor then tell receptionist that NHS Direct told you to see a doctor.

How old is your baby? If you are not happy to stop bf then you are better off on sertraline. Better then not to start taking the citalopram again as it has a long half life.

If you were still bf why did your doctor give you citalopram in the first place confused

madmouse Sat 20-Aug-11 11:03:00

By the way the age of your baby has nothing to do with the breastfeeding!! Just being nosy really.

NoNotAtAll Sat 20-Aug-11 11:08:25

(dont out me if you recognise me please)my baby is 12 months.the doctor gave it to me as 'thats the one i use' and told me i should stop feeding the baby,cutting down one feed a day for a week. (im switching drs.)
i wanted to go back to a different dr and ask for sertraline.

NoNotAtAll Sat 20-Aug-11 11:10:47

'I have a problem with my anti depressants, I'm feeling really unwell' okay,thats a good sentance,i'll use that,thankyou,i have really bad anxiety attacks when it come to doctors,i always down play,even if i tell myself not to,and then make a fool of myself.

madmouse Sat 20-Aug-11 11:13:34

Can I just add in a shock shock shock for the behaviour of your GP

FFS that's medieval. And what do they mean 'that's the one I use' - why do they think there are so many

Another shock

or maybe even a biscuit

Upwardandonward Sat 20-Aug-11 11:17:26

I hope you get some joy today

NoNotAtAll Sat 20-Aug-11 11:18:57

i felt like throwing a biscuit or two at her,after id left...at the time,i can never think or talk properly,so i cant fight my corner.sadangry

i even pulled up all the courage i had,to ask her,rather feebly,if it was okay for breastfeeding,or was there a better one?
she compleatly dismissed me,and said,no,none are recommended for breastfeeding,this is the one i use,you need it,stop bfing.and then prompty took me off the CBT waiting list.

NoNotAtAll Sat 20-Aug-11 11:19:35

thankyou,i'll phone when the baby falls asleep.

madmouse Sat 20-Aug-11 11:20:14

Off the CBT waiting list?

ADs help but they don't fix you!! You deffo need a different doctor...

natsyloo Sat 20-Aug-11 19:56:59

Am just going to add my two penneth in now and say your doctor's advice is OUTRAGEOUS. Sorry, I felt it warranted caps. Sertraline is the most compatible AD for bfing (I researched and asked my GP to verify). If your GP doesn't understand or emphathise, my advice would be to switch ASAP as she is talking nonsense.

Sorry for the rant, it just appals me that vulnerable mums rely on advice from people who don't have an ounce of compassion, or even the relevant knowledge to advise competently.

It took me a couple of trips but I found the right Dr and it all seemed so much easier after that. Best of luck :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now