Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I have stopped eating

(22 Posts)
Memoo Thu 18-Aug-11 20:16:56

It has got to the point that I just can't eat anything now because I feel sick and my stomach hurts when I eat a proper meal. All I am eating is dry cereal and bananas.
I haven't told anyone. Although I can't hide it from my husband.

madmouse Thu 18-Aug-11 20:37:52

Memoo you know you need to tell - start with your husband. Don't start hiding stuff again. Do you know why your stomach is hurting so much?

timidviper Thu 18-Aug-11 20:57:05

No real advice Memoo, just sorry you are feeling bad.

Could you talk to your GP and check if there is a stomach problem? (Sorry, we haven't spoken before so I don't know any history)

You do realise that lack of nutrients will make you feel worse in every way, physically, mentally and emotionally in the long run don't you? I was ill years ago and struggled to eat and the best thing a doctor told me was to take vitamins, etc to keep myself going even if at a low level.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

GetDownYouWillFall Thu 18-Aug-11 21:37:24

Oh memoo you are still struggling sad

I agree, you must not hide this. What's happening re. CMHT support / meds?

reallytired Thu 18-Aug-11 21:42:26

(((((Memoo)))))

I was in the same position as you nine years ago and I remember it hurting to eat. Talk to your CPN or pychiarist. Prehaps a change in meds would help.

Can you drink milk or some other high calorie drink? I agree that vitamens are good idea.

OracleInaCoracle Thu 18-Aug-11 21:44:59

Memoo, honey, have you seen your gp? You've had such a lot to deal with, it was bound to manifest itself in some way. This isn't good. You know that. Do you want to chat off-board?

OracleInaCoracle Thu 18-Aug-11 21:45:00

Memoo, honey, have you seen your gp? You've had such a lot to deal with, it was bound to manifest itself in some way. This isn't good. You know that. Do you want to chat off-board?

Memoo Thu 18-Aug-11 23:10:28

I know I'm being really stupid and that I'm going to make myself ill but I just can't eat. I went to my friends on Friday and she made us some lunch. I tried so hard to eat but every mouthful was just sticking in my throat. I ended up lying and saying I'd had an upset stomach so was off my food.
I will talk to my psychiatrist about it but don't know when my next appointment is, my cp was going to find out for me but now he's off for a few weeks. Probably won't see the psychiatrist til next month.
My husband knows I'm not eating and keeps trying to tempt me with stuff but I just can't eat at the moment.
Sorry I sound so negative.
Will pm you lissie.

madmouse Fri 19-Aug-11 07:33:46

Memoo you are not stupid for not being able to eat, but you can't keep the fact quiet - you need to tell people so it can be fixed. It cannot wait a few weeks. When are you seeing the cpn again?

Pancakeflipper Fri 19-Aug-11 07:39:24

Oh Memoo, Please c

Pancakeflipper Fri 19-Aug-11 07:44:08

Sorry Memoo, pressed post accidentally. Please contact the CPN.

This non-eating is pretty common. Little but often with food intake. Could you manage a little wholegrain rice with bits of chicken? That will give your body alot of nutrients and you can gradually add things like peas, tomatoes, cucumber, pepper, have the chicken in a honey and lemon sauce.

Please keep us update. Take care

orangeflutie Fri 19-Aug-11 18:21:31

How are you today Memoo? It may be the meds/emotional stress making it difficult for you to eat. Is there a time of day when you can eat more?

About a year and a half ago I completely lost my appetite due to stress and citalapram. This lasted for six weeks and I lost half a stone in this time. I found I could only eat a little and just in the evening. Bread stuck in my throat. It's really difficult when you have no appetite. Maybe just try liquids, soups, purees, smoothies and sweet things. It's good you can manage bananas.

Do talk to someone though as others have said as you don't want this situation to go on for too long. HTH

Memoo Fri 19-Aug-11 21:43:32

Hi all, thanks for the kind messages.

I've eaten dried special k and some fruit today. I just can't stomach anything else. Even the smell off stuff turns my stomach. I am going to start taking the vitamins though so that should help.

I was trying to really analyse my feelings today and there is a part of me that feels so disgusted with myself I think I would actually be quite happy if I just withered away.

madmouse Fri 19-Aug-11 21:49:58

'there is a part of me that feels so disgusted with myself I think I would actually be quite happy if I just withered away'

Memoo can you please say that out loud to someone professional. Please xx

ImNotYourFuckingHunni Fri 19-Aug-11 21:55:50

Hi Memoo, you know you have to talk about this in RL & you also know they will be able to help you.

Try something soft like milk with your cereal or mash potatoe with a little cream & butter mixed in. You can't taste them but it will help.

ImNotYourFuckingHunni Fri 19-Aug-11 21:57:22

Oh I forgot to say. You do know me but I'm on a school holiday name change.

shodatin Fri 19-Aug-11 22:32:58

Just had a few days without food (flu-thing) so I know how very difficult it is to eat, but wanted to remind you that it's very important to keep up one's fluid intake, plain water especially. My first food was some crisps, hardly nutritious but they tasted just right and helped me get back to eating. Best wishes.

Memoo Sat 20-Aug-11 13:13:17

Mm, I don't think I can say it out loud. I have so much bottled up inside I think if I let any of it out I'd totally loose it again. I've had so much help and support, hospital, meds etc and everyone expects me to be better now. How do I tell them I'm not? How do I tell them I'm dead inside?

Lulumama Sat 20-Aug-11 13:22:56

write it down ? you need to get this out there, I really feel for you , I do xx

PaperView Sat 20-Aug-11 13:24:46

Are you able to print the thread?

madmouse Sat 20-Aug-11 13:45:22

Memoo I was diagnosed with PTSD in April 2009. I wanted to be better after 6 months, or at least after 12, by 18 months I was a whole lot better after a lot of help. And now I'm mostly better but sometimes something comes back that still needs dealing with. I know the feelings of shame and inadequacy - after all the therapy I've had I now need CBT for anxiety....I can't possibly lean on my dh and friends any longer. But all they do is remind me how far I've come and that this is just another hurdle..

If you need help you need help and hiding it doesn't make it go away.

Memoo Sat 20-Aug-11 19:28:06

I could write it down, I just dont know where to start. I feel so guilty too, like I'm letting every one down.

I'm starting psychotherapy soon, I think that'll help because I'll have to talk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now