Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I just don't feel very happy

(8 Posts)
stressheaderic Thu 18-Aug-11 13:42:43

Never visited this board before, just looking for some words of understanding or advice please.

I just don't seem to be as happy or enthusiastic about life as I should be, and I'm worried about it.

I'm 31, in good health, have a loving DP and a fantastic 18mo DD. I work part time in a job I don't enjoy, we are pretty skint though not on bones of arse just yet.

Just this past year, I seem to have descended into a bit of a lonely fog whereby I haven't got the energy or inclination to do anything or feel enthusiastic about anything. When friends ask me to do something social, I find myself making excuses and prefer to just stay in on my own.
We've just returned from a holiday abroad, but when we were going, I didn't feel like I was looking forward to it or excited or anything really.

I'm also just really tired all the time, not just day to day tired, but weary, like I'm dragging myself around.

No-one has said anything as I sort of 'put a brave face on' when out and about and act all normal and happy but I know it is just that, an act.

Does anyone recognise any of these feelings? Is there anything I can do/try to have more vigour about me, or is a trip to see my GP in order? Thanks for any answers.

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Thu 18-Aug-11 13:52:36

God, I could have written that post. I am also 31, also have an 18 month old daughter, and totally recognise what you are saying. I feel really flat and just unexcited about everything.

The only theory I have is that we are just coming out of the baby stage - it was really hard, but I expected that and was ready for it, had loads of friends on maternity leave etc. Now, although it's easier (my dd was vv hard work as a baby) I feel a bit deflated. Maybe I was running on hormones for the first year. And also, I think the excitement of having a baby had faded and now we are really facing up to the responsibility of it?

Don't get me wrong, I love my daughter and I love being a mother. I think perhaps this is the time when I need to make the transition from my old self to being a parent for real, now all the drama and excitment of having a new baby is over.

Anyway, that's me, maybe you feel totally different! Might be worth having a chat with your gp, it definitely could be depression.

Upwardandonward Thu 18-Aug-11 14:11:04

I think it's always useful to exclude physical conditions and have someone assess how you are.

stressheaderic Thu 18-Aug-11 14:20:22

Thanks - FruitSalad, I definitely think there's a lot of truth in what you say - I suppose life is just a bit mundane at the moment, now that the excitement of having a new baby has gone. Fwiw, DD was a fantastic baby, slept at least 12 hours a night from 10 weeks old - it's now that I'm running round after her, tending to her many whims, I'm finding it harder.

She does make me so happy but i still have this nagging feeling that I'm just going through the motions sometimes.

Chocattack Thu 18-Aug-11 22:45:45

Your post sounds familiar to me too. My life before I descend into full-blown depression - a gradual wearing down until one day I "flip-out" or get glued to the bed. Do you enjoy life? I'd have a chat with a nice gp if you can.

talkingnonsense Sat 20-Aug-11 19:36:13

I felt very like that - so tired I had to keep lying down, really thought I was anaemic or something; am now taking citalopram and it has made a really positive difference so do please go and see your gp; or if you don't want ads, try doing something just for you- gym, dance class, etc, to help your mood.

toptramp Sat 20-Aug-11 21:44:22

I often feel like this and I have accepted that it's sadly because I don't enjoy motherhood as much as I should and I miss my childf free life even though I love dd more than anything else on earth. I just miss the relative freedom and lack of responsibility of being child free.

toptramp Sat 20-Aug-11 21:45:03

Fitness definately helps.I am currently doing 30 day shred by Jillian Michaels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now