Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

anyone with long term depression managed to stay off ADs?

(3 Posts)
racingheart Mon 15-Aug-11 22:46:11

I'm thinking of trying to come off citalopram. I love it, in terms of my mental health, it's been perfect. But physically I've put on 20 lbs over the past two years and become very spongy and sluggish where I used to be fit and energetic. I've had depression since my teens and am now late 40s. I'd really like to try to keep the mood swings (anger, depression, suicidal thoughts) at bay through alternative therapies, like running, meditation etc.

has anyone with long term depression done this successfully?

NanaNina Mon 15-Aug-11 22:56:15

Not me but I've answered another post about citalopram and given the reasons I will stay on ADs for rest of my life. Mind I am 67, so it's a bit different for me. The only way you'll know if the alternative therapies work is by trying them. You could lose the weight by going to Slimming World (I lost 2 stone I put on through ADs) and put one stone back on. Anyway which is worse, being overweight or having the horrors of depression. Only you can answer that. On the other hand you may be fine without it.

racingheart Tue 16-Aug-11 19:15:31

Thanks for answering Nana. No contest. I'd rather be overweight any day! But ideally I'd like to be healthy in mind and body, not one or the other. If it's possible to get my physical energy back and keep a close eye on my moods, working with exercise and meditation and CBT techniques, I'd like to give it a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now