Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Alchoholic Gene?

(6 Posts)
BustyStClaire Mon 15-Aug-11 16:40:13

Sorry if this in wrong group. Do you think that there is a gene which makes you a heavy drinker, or alchoholic? My mum was a very heavy drinker, my 2 older sisters, and older brother are all bodering on alchoholics. I thought I took after my dad who was just a here & there drinker, but over the last 2 weeks, I have had almost a bottle of wine every night! I decided to test myself by going cold turkey, and as the time approached 5ish, when I would have opened it & had my first glass, I am feeling a bit jittery! Shit, what is happening to me?

scotchmist Mon 15-Aug-11 18:01:06

Ive often wondered the same thing myself, my father was an alcoholic, my mother liked a good drink ( and still does ) my middle sister is an alcoholic ( but she doesnt think she is because shes got a flash car and a big house hmm) my brother is borderline alcoholic and a drug taker, my oldest sister only drinks at the weekend but loads.
I used to binge drink when i was younger but stopped when i had kids as i didnt want them growing up in the same sort of situation that i did.
I dont know about an actual alcoholic gene but im pretty sure that there is some kind of addictive gene.

dontlaugh Mon 15-Aug-11 18:03:23

Yes, it exists. I can track mine back 4 generations. Being aware of it is great and shows an insight that very likely your ancestors may not have possessed. I no longer drink at all.
There is the Brave Babes thread in relationships board which supports anyone thinking about their drinking habits. I highly recommend it.

BustyStClaire Mon 15-Aug-11 18:06:08

Thanks, I am not drinking tonight. I am not.

dontlaugh Mon 15-Aug-11 18:08:42

You can do it, tomorrow is another day.

AlcoPop Mon 15-Aug-11 18:36:15

ok. not qualified on the genetic predisposition to alcoholism thing.
however, your 5pm jitters could just be a Pavlovian anticipation thing (check spelling)

either way you have behaviour you want to change and good luck with that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now