Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Bad dreams - when do they stop? Weaned off Citalopram

(4 Posts)
monkey2010 Mon 08-Aug-11 11:30:06

Hi
I've successfully weaned myself off 40mg Citalopram over 2 months quite slowly (last tablet 5 days ago). Feeling fine but still having really scary bad dreams most nights. How long will I continue to have these? I'm getting a bit worried that they may never stop, especially as it should be out of my system now?!

Granny23 Mon 08-Aug-11 11:36:54

Having been on and off citalopram several times, I would advise that the vivid dreams usually last at least two weeks, either starting or coming off.
Perhaps I am just nosey, if so please ignore me, but 40mg is a very high dose and I wonder why you have self weaned off, when presumably your doctor thinks you need the tablets?

monkey2010 Mon 08-Aug-11 12:09:28

I did discuss weaning with my GP and he was happy for me to have control, as long as I did it slowly. I was on 40 mg for 6 months (after trying 10 & then 20 over a few months before that). The tablets really helped me get through the worst part of PTSD/depression related to the tramatic birth of my child with disabilties. I'm reassured that the bad dreams may only last a couple more weeks.

Granny23 Mon 08-Aug-11 12:30:41

Thanks for the explanation - you sound very sensible. Glad the tablets helped when needed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now