Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

first appointment with mental health nurse. what to expect?

(18 Posts)
MOSP Mon 08-Aug-11 00:00:39

Anyone had one? She's coming tomorrow. Hope someone is still awake...

Upwardandonward Mon 08-Aug-11 10:25:37

I'd expect a fairly introductory /getting ro know you chat. What they can help with/what sort of help may be on offer. Ask as much as you can

Putthatbookdown Mon 08-Aug-11 11:05:31

When you are with Mental health you are with the authorities: that means you must comply with them.98% of people are given medication which you must take and you must do what they say However, this is only gen advice and we need to know why you have been referred to them in the first place

dontrunwithscissors Mon 08-Aug-11 12:26:15

Although I suppose what putthatbookdown has written is correct, I think it sounds a bit harsh. My CPN is incredibly supportive, and has always taken my feelings and experiences of medication in to account. My experience has been one that CPN's are interested in developing a supportive relationship when it comes to all aspects of your care. And to answer your question - I seem to remember the first meeting was about getting to understand the challenges you're facing and just getting to know you. One of the benefits of having a CPN is that she's seen me in various states over the last 15 months. I feel that she's got a good understanding of me and my condition.

MOSP Mon 08-Aug-11 13:16:32

Thank you for your replies. She's been and gone. Seemed very nice, but I did tell her that I'll never discuss my issue with her (because I barely discuss it with anyone in rl). She said that as we get closer, I might do. I know I won't. Told her she might be wasting her time, but she disagreed. She said she might be able to help me with coping with my double life (because I have to put on a front most of the time, and it is exhausting).

Seeing Consultant Psychiatrist today later on. One of those days sad

Upwardandonward Mon 08-Aug-11 13:45:57

I'm glad you got through it. My CPN told me she uses self-disclosure because otherwise she feels that all the pressure is on the service user. That said, I'm sure there are things my CPN knows that my psych doesn't, and vice versa.

I hope your psych appointment goes as well as it can; they can be exhausting, and I know I took a couple of visits to get comfortable.

MOSP Tue 09-Aug-11 19:45:07

I don't even know where to begin! Psychiatrist has told me that I need to open up to Mental Health Nurse before she can consider referring me for therapy. I just want to get better!!!

What is the difference between a CPN and a Mental Health Nurse, by the way?

madmouse Tue 09-Aug-11 19:55:34

Putthatbookdown could not be more wrong. Unless you are sectioned you don't need to take medication, you don't need to let the nurse into your house and you don't even need to see the doctor. Of course not complying may lead to you becoming so unwell that you end up sectioned but that is by no means a given.

Please take care what you post putthat angry

You've met her for the first time today - this is not the time to decide whether you can talk about your issue with her or not. Give it time and see how things go. A relationship takes time to build.

There is no difference between a CPN and a Mental Health nurse in any meaningful way. CPN means community psychiatric nurse.

MOSP Tue 09-Aug-11 19:58:44

Thank you. I really really want to get better. I want to do it. I just can't talk about it. It's too awful, sets off panic attacks, I go all stuttery or mute. I am grateful for all the help I'm getting, but feel I'm just stuck in a prison of my own brain.

TheOriginalFAB Tue 09-Aug-11 20:03:18

My experience is nothing like what PTBD talks about.

If you feel you can't talk, write it down.

MOSP Tue 09-Aug-11 20:04:57

PTBD?

MOSP Tue 09-Aug-11 20:05:12

Ah, penny dropped!

MOSP Tue 09-Aug-11 20:06:08

Don't feel I can write it either. It is stuck inside sad

madmouse Tue 09-Aug-11 20:06:47

MOSP I used to lead a double life too and was physically unable to talk about my experiences. With the support of a good counsellor and two trusted friends I progressed to dropping hints and throwing out bits and pieces and over time have managed to tell my whole story to a therapist and two friends. It's worth it. Life hurts so much less now.

TheOriginalFAB Tue 09-Aug-11 20:09:16

MOSP - it isn't easy but if you want to get well you have to find a way to tell someone what is going on in your head. I know it isn't easy. I had to confess to some things I was convinced would mean my children would be taken off me, but I did it as I needed to be well for them.

MOSP Tue 09-Aug-11 20:11:33

Thank you MM and ToF.

That's what I need. I do have friends who know, but they were in my life at the time it happened. Some mn friends know too, but only after months of gaining trust, and a lot of guessing and avoiding certain words. I can't just 'come out with it'. Maybe if tipsy, but even then I don't know.

dontrunwithscissors Wed 10-Aug-11 10:20:52

I know how hard it can be to be in your situation, MSOP. I thought I'd never talk about my 'secret.' However, after 15 months of seeing my CPN, it was her that I finally spilled it all out to. It took a long time before I felt able to do that, and the fact I did is a reflection of how good she is at her job, and how much I've come to trust her. I would really encourage you to just give this a go - nobody will force anything upon you.

MOSP Wed 10-Aug-11 10:23:20

dontrun - is it PTSD you suffer from too?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now