Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Has reading about your 'MH issues' help you understand and try to move on?

(5 Posts)
byanymeans Wed 03-Aug-11 16:10:15

It has take a lot and I have a long way to go but I feel the need to understand what I'm feeling and why. In my case how an event, addiction or loss (or all 3) as a child can lead to the way I feel now.
I feel I want to look at my 'MH issues' in a more general way not just one to one counselling if that make sense.

I was just wounding if any one else here, has read about whys of other people have the same 'MH issues' to help understand them self and move on?

If any one else has found reading helped what did you read?

(Sorry cant think of better wording then 'MH issue')
Really hope this makes sence.

scotchmist Wed 03-Aug-11 18:13:45

I am finding the CBT workbook for dummies very helpfull, its taught me a lot about why i feel the way i do and why i react to certain situations with panic and anxiety, its teaching me how to think differently and put things into perspective instead of thinking the worst of every situation and catastrophizing ( a word i learnt on here smile ) its a very easy to read book and designed so you can just read the bits you need and not the whole thing.

Lottieloulou Thu 04-Aug-11 08:43:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

byanymeans Thu 04-Aug-11 13:15:51

Thank you very much for answering.
I'm thinking that if I read about what comes from were in theory I hope to be able to blame myself less deep down and build a fresh. I believe I am what is referred to as an adult/child (constantly think of myself as stuck at 4 years old). I thought for many many years that it was just me being stupid but after many months of PND I finally got help and ended up opening up from the beginning to a counseller, who nearly feel off her chair explained, said that I had kept a mask up for a long time.
I honestly don't understand who I am, just who the mask is, so hopefully by trying to understand why I can let myself move forward
I think that I will go and have a look at 'the CBT workbook for dummies' this afternoon.
Thank you brew

reallytired Thu 04-Aug-11 13:29:28

I have found self help books very useful. I have felt empowered and more confident. I can recommend the following books

Brilliant CBT

and

resilence factor

Reading these books have helped me improve my thinking strageries. As a child I did not learn good methods for coping with intense feelings. These books are teaching me what my parents failed to teach me.

I want to have proper CBT councelling at some point and I am hoping that what I have learnt from reading will help me get the most out of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now