Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Delayed PND?

(8 Posts)
csemum Tue 02-Aug-11 18:29:21

does this exist? My dd is 6 months old and I'm feeling wretched!

BeckyBendyLegs Tue 02-Aug-11 18:33:47

As far as I am aware it can start any time in the first year, not necessarily within the first few weeks. Sorry you are feeling bad, is this your first baby? x

kizzie Tue 02-Aug-11 19:28:41

Yes - can definately occur at this stage. You poor thing - its really horrible - but you can and will get better smile

A good person to talk to in first place is your health visitor. Or go and see your GP. And keep posting on here. There are lots of people on MN with experience of PND x

csemum Tue 02-Aug-11 19:36:34

Thank you! It is my first baby yes and just find the sense of responsibility totally overwhelming. We are on holiday a the moment and I'm disillusioned about how little the feeling changes even when I'm away. Will defs contact my hv. Thank you!

BeckyBendyLegs Tue 02-Aug-11 19:43:59

It is such a huge big change in life to have a new, small person in your life - I remember how it feels - a sort of weird mixture of joy, love, anxiety, loss (for aspects of the old life), lots of ups and downs. It does get better and you will feel better. It can be quite stressful anyway being on holiday with a small baby - I actually find going on holiday more stressful than being at home!!

tattyteddy Wed 03-Aug-11 20:32:37

I started feeling down when my DD turned four months. I agree a good person to talk to is your HV or GP. Also I think putting your feelings on this board makes you realise other people have had similar feelings. Xx

natsyloo Fri 05-Aug-11 22:17:52

...as others have said, yes it's quite possible and yes it is bl**dy wretched!

I also agree that holidays can be tricky, simply because they are so unlike holidays were in pre-baby years...ie relaxing and self-indulgent. However, it does get easier with time.

I had pretty severe PND and only started to feel like 'me' after about 8 months or so. My little boy is one today and is so much fun now as he's trying to walk, babbling and is a little person and no longer a super-dependent baby.

Speak to your HV/GP and tell them how you feel - things will get better :-)

reallytired Fri 05-Aug-11 22:23:27

yes, you can get delayed postnatal depression. Sometimes the introduction of solids can precipitate pnd because your body is producing less breastmilk. The drop in prolactin can affect mood.

Speak to a health professional.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now