Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

changing from fluoxetine to amitriptyline because trying for a baby

(2 Posts)
marfa Fri 29-Jul-11 11:38:35

I've been on 20mg fluoxetine for 1 year - a miracle - but now trying for another baby. The GP tells me amitriptyline will be safer but I've talken it for one day and I can barely sit up (it acts as an antihistamine too with the associated drowsiness of an antihistamine). I can't afford to spend 2 weeks waiting for the side effects to wear off - I can only imagine taking this is I was sectioned and lying in hospital. There's no way I can live normally while waiting for these effects to subside. Am thinking Wellbutrin as an alternative.
I can't just stop taking meds because I'm the breadwinner in my family and without an antidepressant I don't know if I'll be able to work.
Has anyone had a similar experience? What are people's thoughts on taking antidepressants during pregnancy? What is safest?

madmouse Fri 29-Jul-11 11:44:24

I think sertraline may be an alternative

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now