Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Advice please re managing anxiety....

(8 Posts)
LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Thu 28-Jul-11 20:55:11

Hoping someone can help me, I am 34 weeks pg and am having some 'episodes' that the mw wanted me to see gp about. He has advised me to contact CRUSE re my dads death which happened just before I got pregnant.

Anyway would really like sone advice about how to cope /reduce palpaptations, feeling like I can't breathe/catch my breathe and some visual stuff too.

sometimes they seem to happen for no reason and others anything that slightly stresses me out for eg a silly arguement with dh or 3 yr old dd being a 3 yr old!

Anyway thanks if you've got this far or if you've got any words of wisdom for me.

madmouse Thu 28-Jul-11 21:21:35

Can you explain what you mean with 'visual stuff'?

Figuring out whether you are having flashbacks or ''''just'''' intrusive images/memories

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Thu 28-Jul-11 22:37:40

Hi madmouse, no more like tunnel vision/blind spots with flashing lights and squiggly lines, a bit like the flashing lights with a migraine. Lasts anything up to an hour, just appears then disappears.

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Thu 28-Jul-11 22:39:04

Sorry should have said vision rather than visual.

madmouse Thu 28-Jul-11 22:41:44

that's good - that means it's 'just' panick attacks which are very annoying but harmless

All the symptoms you describe are due to hyperventilation - breathing too quickly/too deeply. The old breathe in a paper bag trick works well, as does something called Mindfulness. Search for it on Youtube, there are good videos about it, it is easy to pick up and really useful.

and do take up that suggestion of counselling, sounds like you need it.

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Fri 29-Jul-11 07:47:00

Thanks madmouse I'll take a look.

There is a little more than just my dad but defo the start of it all and a shitty 9 months following the stress of the two years my dad was ill. The mw was concerned that I needed to try and start sorting things now to try and reduce risk of PNI. But with 6 weeks to go, can it really make a difference? I know my thoughts about the pregnancy are being effected and I am doubting how/if I can cope with the birth and the baby.

madmouse Fri 29-Jul-11 09:21:40

If you were to start CBT this week then 6 weeks could make a lot of difference, however that is probably not practicable. It is still wise to seek out counselling now and make arrangements in case there is a waiting list.

You will cope with the birth - your body is a marvellous thing and it makes all those hormones to help including plenty of adrenaline. Not saying you will necessarily enjoy it, but you will be ok.

It will be wise to watch out for PND but even feeling very upset/rubbish now does not mean that you will get it.

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Fri 29-Jul-11 09:38:30

Thanks madmouse it's comforting to know I'm not a lost cause. Was told yesterday the baby is no longer breech, must admit I was disappointed had liked got used to the idea of a csection.

I am going to call them but it will be next week. Dh is off work all week so will be able to sit down and make the call without worrying about dd. I do worry about the effect it's having on her.

I really appricate your time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now