Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Want to be signed off sick but scared

(10 Posts)
allgettingontopofme Mon 25-Jul-11 12:27:28

Could someone give me some advice? I think I have some kind of depression, I have zero motivation to do anything at the moment, my house is a tip because I can't be bothered to do any tidying or even any washing up, it's been affecting my work and there are things I am supposed to have done that I basically can't be bothered to do.

I manage my own workload at work and I start trying to do something, and think, this is too hard, so just fritter my day away doing nothing. It's not even as if the work is hard, it's not, it just takes energy that I don't have. It's getting to the stage that it's being noticed that I'm not pulling my weight, and I don't know what to do. I'm supposed to be working from home today but I'm not, I'm too scared to go into work and I'm too scared to even open my emails, how stupid is that?! But I'm also too scared to go to the GP to get some help.

I want to be signed off work for a while so I can sort myself out but I'm worried about what people will think and how I'll eventually have to go back and face them. Also I'm worried that the GP will think I'm just being lazy and want to get out of work, which I really don't think I am, I usually enjoy my job and all these problems are of my own making. I just feel at the moment like I'm wasting my life and I ought to be happy because I don't have any real problems, but I'm not.

Could anyone reassure me about going to the GP? Or has any other advice? Thank you.

allgettingontopofme Mon 25-Jul-11 12:59:06

Other reasons that I think I am depressed:

I've got a phobia of post, I get scared of what might be in an official looking letter (speeding ticket, court summons etc) so I put off opening it and the post piles up and I can't bring myself to deal with it. I have recently been able to open some, but it's still a fear.

I really struggle with getting up in the mornings and have been getting into work late.

I comfort eat and have been putting on lots of weight, even though I hate the way I look I can't seem to stop eating (I know this is true for lots of people though). I am avoiding meeting up with friends because I don't want them to see me looking like this.

All in all I think whatever this is is spoiling my life and I really feel I need to do something about it. What would a doctor suggest? I don't really like the idea of anti-depressents.

Writing all this down is actually quite helpful. I'd really value some advice though.

madmouse Mon 25-Jul-11 13:37:05

Well what do you think will happen if you don't go to the GP? Do you really have an option?

allgettingontopofme Mon 25-Jul-11 13:54:57

madmouse - i don't know. I'm still feeling like i ought to be able to just pull myself together. I suppose I'm hoping for someone to tell me that it's ok to be feeling the way i am and that a GP will be sympathetic.

madmouse Mon 25-Jul-11 14:09:34

A GP should be sympathethic and will probably give you a questionnaire to complete which will give them an indication of how depressed you are. You are certainly displaying signs enough.

I not that you are not keen on ADs and that you want to be signed off. But being signed off is not a solution and the GP will not do so without taking other action as well, hopefully a referral to counselling as well as possible meds.

madmouse Mon 25-Jul-11 14:16:09

If you could pull yourself together you would already have done so

Ormirian Mon 25-Jul-11 14:16:42

This is the second thread like this today. And my advice would be the same as for the first.

1. go to GP and see what he/she says. Don't second guess.
2. It does sounds like anxiety/depression to me so ads might be the answer. You need to keep an open mind.
3. Work will still be there when you've had your time off so perhaps you need to address the issues that made work so hard for you. Just taking a few weeks off won't make it all better unfortunately.

Good luck. I've been there and it is really dreadful

midnightservant Wed 27-Jul-11 23:48:16

Please don't be scared of meds, I was, but found taking them made such a difference.

I have had exactly the feelings you described when I last worked, frittering away the time while stuff piled up sad Also at home, lack of motivation being the thing that led to depression in both situations.

The year before last I was phobic of Christmas cards, so I understand your feelings re post. I do hope things get better for you, please ask for help from your GP.

redvelvetpoppy Sun 31-Jul-11 02:18:03

Hi there, how are you doing now?

Have been in a similar situation to you...what I would recommend if you haven't already done so is phone in sick (say you feel dreadful & flu like) then phone your GP and take first available appt with any doctor.

You can sign yourself off legally for 7 working days and a doctor will happily sign you off for longer or back date a form ( as you are clearly unwell just now). Explain all your symptoms & it is likely you will be offered some routine blood tests as anaemia & thyroid probs can make you feel like you're feeling as well as a depression assessment. When you start feeling better due to the right treatment whatever that may be, you will find that you worry less about facing workmates & they are likely to feel only concern for your health not judge you xx

Putthatbookdown Sun 31-Jul-11 13:08:05

I think about a third of all workers may feel like you at this moment: you are not alone.Make sure you are eating properly and bathing etc Anti-depressants do give you alift but long term can cause high cholesterol-so need to be monitored If your gp is not sympahetic see another one(you can demand afemale)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now