Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Fluoxetine for PMS

(2 Posts)
coffeecoffeecoffee Fri 22-Jul-11 14:52:49

I went to see my GP this morning due to DH walking out on me on Tuesday (he's back now). I have had severe PMS the past few months - for the 10 days up to my period I am an angry, intolerant bitch. sad
Anyway, she has prescribed fluoxetine, but i thought she was going to say i only need it for half my cycle, but she's told me to take it everyday (20mg).
I don't feel I need an antidepressant - I'm not depressed. My sister starts taking it on the 15th day of her cycle and stops taking it when her period starts, and this suits her fine.

I'm tempted for the first month to try half a cycle, but I don't want to go against my GPs advice.

Also - anyone have any side effects from Fluoxetine when presribed for PMS?

Thanks xx

bittersweetvictory Fri 22-Jul-11 19:19:48

fluoxetine or prozac as its its also known takes a few weeks to kick in before you feel the benefits so you really need to take it every day to start with, but with all ADs stopping and starting could have withdrawal symptoms, it depends on the individual, 20mg is a small dose but it will take a few weeks of continuous use for it to start taking effect, i would go with your GPs advice and take them every day to start with untill you have it under control then try it for half your cycle, im peripausal now but i used to have terrible PMS and ADs helped me a lot, prozac didnt suit me so i took mirtazapine instead every day.
I did come off them for a while but due to circumstances ended up back on them again sad but once again they have helped me loads.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now