Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Panic attacks - is this what it's like?

(3 Posts)
AmyStake Mon 18-Jul-11 23:42:06

I've never had a panic attack before, but I think I'm having one now and I had one earlier today.

I feel like I can't get enough breath, like I'm not breathing hard enough? I felt dizzy after I left home, I needed to do the shop but I just wanted to go home. I was convinced I was going to faint on the bus home and I thought there was something seriously wrong with me blush. My heart was and is going ten to the dozen.

Now I'm having the breathing thing again - it's like I think I'm not remembering to breathe properly or breath hard enough. I've been really stressed out about work but I've been OK today, or I thought I had been. I had this last week as well on the way home from work but not on the days I was off (I only worked one day last week!).

My fingernails and lips aren't blue, and I haven't fainted or been ill. I forgot my citalopram a few days last week and got in to a bit of a state but its work as usual this week and I've been a bit apprehensive, but I'm OK.

Does this sound like a panic attack? sad

tractorgirl Tue 19-Jul-11 00:22:08

It does sound like it could be - but seeing as this is new for you, i think you should just make an appointment with your GP.

JarethTheGoblinKing Tue 19-Jul-11 00:30:00

I don't think it's a panic attack, I recognise those symptoms from leaving the citalopram for a couple of days, it feels horrible. Drink plenty of water, make sure you have your normal dose for the next few days and look after yourself. I found it went pretty quickly after a day or two back on normal dose. Really remember the breathing thing, like your ribcage is just happier closed, and it's extra effort to breathe?

Sympathies.. it's awful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now