Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Am pregnant and struggling. Is there anything I can take?

(4 Posts)
GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 18-Jul-11 22:04:20

I had bad PND with DD 3 years ago. Was on Citalopram for 2 years and it transformed me. I realised I should have been on it years ago. The GP was happy for me to stay on it in theory but concerned about me having another baby, which I now am.

I don't want to go into the whole thing, it's long and dull and I'm tired but I know that I've slipped back. Am unable to cope with anything. I'm either crying or I'm so wound up that I'm hurting myself. I'm only 15 weeks, I can't carry on like this till the end. I'm already under consultant care because of previous depression although I haven't seen anyone yet and, tbh, not sure what good that'll so anyway. I'm not a talker, have had counselling in the past and it was a waste of time.

If I go back to my GP what can she do? Can I take anything?

cheekyginger Tue 19-Jul-11 20:53:36

Hi GML,

You really need to speak to your GP about what meds are safe during pregnancy.

Do you not have any family to give you a cuddle and let you have a good cry? Remember you're very hormonal just now and are obviously prone to deprn. You will be able to go straight back on the meds as soon as your bambino comes along so hang in there.

thisisyesterday Tue 19-Jul-11 20:56:26

yes, there are anti-depressants you can take.

iirc sertraline is the pregnancy/breastfeeding AD of choice. but there are def others as well.

I would ask about therapy/counselling as well to be honest. unfortunately provision on the NHS is poor, but it can take a while to find a counsellor who you are happy with and just because it didn't work out before doesn't mean it can't with someone different...?

InFlames Mon 25-Jul-11 19:53:52

Amitryptaline also safe in pregnancy. GP can refer to perinatal mental health team too and may well do if unhappy to prescribe in pregnancy. They are v v supportive and v v used to looking after depression in pregnancy. Good luck :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now