Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

citalopram 20mgm

(2 Posts)
worrier123 Wed 06-Jul-11 05:52:13

Hi, I am new to this site, so sorry if I have got it wrong, I have been very interested to read all the threads about coming off citalpram. I have been on 20mgm since March this year and decided I didnt feel alot different on it, (it was prescribed for panic over health and morbid thoughts) For the past 2 weeks I have cut the dose to 10mgm daily, not felt alot of side effects other than not sleeping very well and having very vivid dreams of stress type situations, last night a helicopter landed on my roof and I was trying to make them tea but the kettle wouldnt boil!!!

After reading I think maybe I should stay on the 10mgm for at least another 2 weeks and then maybe go down to 5mgm. Good to read the experience of others, thankyou.

Ooopsadaisy Wed 06-Jul-11 09:09:37

Hi worrier. I'm also interested in everyone's experiences.

I've been on Citalopram for a month now. I had what I can only describe as a "meltdown".

Since starting on 20mg a day I have had some of the side effects (dry mouth after about 5 days which I still have but is lessening), nausea (after about a week but has gone away now). I have slept less than before but it is better quality sleep - I think I was hiding myself in sleep before - like a kind of escape from a reality I was struggling with. I am eating less (I think I was comfort eating to suppress agitation). It has made me feel much stronger and able to cope. I have started actively dealing with some of the things that were causing me anguish.

Have since been back to the GP to see how I'm doing and GP says that as it seems to be helping me, she advises to stay on it for at least 6 months.

Having spoken to friends/colleagues etc, I have been amazed to find that there are so many women taking this stuff! One friend has been on it for donkey's years and doesn't ever want to come off as it has made so much difference to her. I asked the GP about this and she said that this is not at all uncommon and that about 30% of women she sees in their 40s are on it!

I was amazed.

What does this say about our lifestyles and the society we live in? How have we come to this?

I would advise you not to do anything without discussing it with your GP. The last thing you want is to make anything worse.

I hope your GP is supportive - mine is wonderful. I have been referred to a Wellbeing clinic and I have a list of things I want help with. I'm being really pro-active about this now and want to learn some coping techniques.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now