Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

What's the best way to help someone who is delusional?

(20 Posts)
belledechocchipcookie Tue 05-Jul-11 19:50:53

The hospital has messed with her medication, she thinks the neighbours are listening in to her conversations, the hospital have stolen her diary etc. GP has been in to see her today and has messed with her medication (again)confused

belledechocchipcookie Tue 05-Jul-11 19:51:10

Thank you blush

AuntieMonica Tue 05-Jul-11 19:54:17

help her ride it out, until the meds have a chance to settle.

if you are not able to help her keep safe while this goes on, you might want to call her crisis team, or get her to do it (call them i mean). they might be able to make regular contact and assessments.

is she lucid enough to reason with on anything?

belledechocchipcookie Tue 05-Jul-11 19:57:31

She's lucid, she was about to throw my brother out of the house this afternoon (he's 30, not a child). I keep telling her to hold on, write her thoughts down to let them out (the plan was so that she doesn't say them out loud). I don't live there, I can tell when I call her that she's unwell. She's saying that no one believes her though.

AuntieMonica Tue 05-Jul-11 20:02:23

if she's talking to you, she must have a bit of belief in you.

have you explained that tomorrow the neighbours may leave her alone, and that the hospital are trying to return the diary?

i know this is probably going along with her delusions, but if you truly believe it's only the change in meds, ie they will help her soon, then it may be very helpful if you can

belledechocchipcookie Tue 05-Jul-11 20:07:00

I suggested that the real diary may still be in the house and the paramedic/my brother may have taken an old one by mistake (as she has many), this didn't really work.

She's never been like this before, I'm fairly sure it's her medication.

Thank you for answering smile

AuntieMonica Tue 05-Jul-11 20:12:18

it may not be her meds.......

she may need intervention sad

you sound like a fab support

belledechocchipcookie Tue 05-Jul-11 20:18:24

She has a UTI and MRSA so it could also be the infection. This has sort of happened before, just not in the same way as she was far worse. She had a UTI and felt the need to touch the patients with her walking stick incase they died. It's either the meds or the infection. She had her bladder washed out on Saturday (hence the paramedics).

Thank you smile

AuntieMonica Wed 06-Jul-11 09:19:04

morning belle

i wondered how the call went?

thinking of all involved - un-MN {{hugs}}

belledechocchipcookie Wed 06-Jul-11 11:32:38

smile Thank you.

I called my sister last night, she went to see her yesterday and said she has an infection (a UTI again) and she does have antibiotics. I've just tried to call my mother and she's not answered. She can't leave the house as she can barely walk so I'm concerned now.

belledechocchipcookie Mon 11-Jul-11 22:07:18

She didn't have an infection. She was sectioned this afternoon. Why's life never easy?

NanaNina Mon 11-Jul-11 22:14:06

I'm not at all surprised. Thank goodness she is now in a safe place as she is clearly suffering from some sort of psychotic illness. I've only just read the thread but you have been describing someone who is out of touch with reality. Really hope she gets the care that she needs - anti-psychotic meds are usually very effective, though of course it will take time.

belledechocchipcookie Mon 11-Jul-11 22:19:25

Thank you. I'm relieved, doesn't make it easy though. I just hope she recovers quickly and doesn't remember this.

IroningBoardForSurfBoard Mon 11-Jul-11 22:19:47

sorry she's been so poorly, belle

i've been where you possibly are now, with a family member.

PM me if you want

smile

IroningBoardForSurfBoard Mon 11-Jul-11 22:20:47

sorry, have name changed, it's AuntieMonica here

belledechocchipcookie Mon 11-Jul-11 22:22:28

smile Thank you. I'm OK, my sister's worried because she's catheterised and she doesn't know if they can look after her medically. Do you know if they can do this? She's in a psychiatric unit.

IroningBoardForSurfBoard Mon 11-Jul-11 22:31:58

i will PM you

belledechocchipcookie Mon 11-Jul-11 22:32:58

smile

NanaNina Tue 12-Jul-11 12:11:28

Your sister shouldn't be worrying Belle - it is a hospital and of course they can look after her medically as well as pyschiatrically. I have been an inpatient twice on a psych ward and if necessary patients were taken over to the main hospital for treatment. The psych unit was in the grounds of the hospital, but many are actually in the hospital. I think it is natural for your sister to worry about herself in these circumstances. I was in a older people's ward last time (Easter 10) cus I was 66 and many of the older people had falls and were either dealt with on the ward but if x rays were needed they were taken to the main hospital. One lady fell and broke her hip and of course was taken to main hospital, but amazingly back in a couple of weeks.

Don't forget there are drs on the psych ward who are qualified in all brances of medical as well as psychiatric help.

This is going to be a very worrying time for you - the best thing you can do is support your sister, and try to impress upon her that she will be cared for. She is almost certainly still delusional, so may think all sorts of things that are not connected to reality........the anti psych meds should eventually help.

NanaNina Tue 12-Jul-11 12:18:57

Mean "qualified in all branches of medicine" - just looked at your earlier post Belle and I don't think people do recall their psychotic episodes, though I am no authority on this. I just remember one lady when I was admitted who was wondering about, trying to take her top off and asking me (and anyone else) if we had sold her bungalow. She got very upset one evening, saying that she didn't have enough money to pay for her bed and no amount of re-assuring did much good to be honest.

However a few days later she was quite normal and I was staggered as I thought she probably had some kind of dementia, but she had depression and it was so severe, she suffered a psychotic episode. We became quite friendly and I did once mention to her how poorly she had been when I came in and mentioned her asking people if they had sold her bungalow. It was very clear she had no recall of this at all and it was upsetting for her to know, so I quickly said that she only said it once to me and I regretted saying anything. Later her daughter talked to me and said her mom had no memory at all of how delusional she had been at home and had no idea that she had been in hospital for 4 months.

Anyway she improved in leaps and bounds - was discharged before me and went off on holiday to Austria! My CPN told me that people don't recall their psychotic episodes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now