Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Is it the depression that's exhausting me, or the Citalopram?

(12 Posts)
ItsMeAndMyPuppyNow Tue 05-Jul-11 11:37:09

Just wondering if any of you had experience feeling exhausted all the time while depressed and/or on Citalopram, and how the situation evolved for you.

(I do have a GP and am not shy about seeing her and asking her questions, but this question is more curiosity on my part than a medical complaint).

jellybrain Tue 05-Jul-11 13:03:53

Hi ItsMeAndMyPuppy. Have just got back from my GP and have been prescribed Citalopram- How long have you been taking it?. Haven't had a chance to take it yet so obviously unable to describe side effects however I do generally feel tired and lack motivation which I understand is symptomatic of my depression.
Anyway fingers crossed that it makes a difference. I am kicking myself I have taken so long to do something about the way I've been feeling.
I will be watching this thread with interest and let you know of my experience with Citalopram.

ItsMeAndMyPuppyNow Tue 05-Jul-11 15:32:38

Hi jellybrain there are a lot of posters on Citalopram. Run a search with it as a keyword and you'll have accounts of different people's reactions to it. (Basically: different for everyone).

Thanks also for confirming how tired you feel pre-medication; I think it must be the depression making me feel tired too. (My experience is that Citalopram worked wonders for me for 2 months -- really wonderful; I felt like a bright and normal person again -- but lately I have been feeling in a black hole again mentally, and so so tired. I was wondering if it meant that the depression was becoming stronger than the meds and I think it has. I'll be asking my GP for a higher dose I think.)

fiddlydee Wed 06-Jul-11 12:24:28

Chances are it's the citalopram. It made me feel constantly exhausted. I could just lay on the kitchen floor and go to sleep. I was too dangerous to drive. Fluoxotine did the same. I swapped to Venlafaxine which gave me hideous sweats. I am now on sertraline. This has some good write-ups for being effective but with the least side effects. There are still side effects and these are not nice but better than I have had on the other ADs and definitely better than the depression. It's worth speaking to your GP about trying a different AD. Good luck

BeckleinDisguise Wed 06-Jul-11 13:18:16

I have been exhaused for over a year now and can fall asleep anywhere and can sleep for hours without feeling at all refreshed when I wake. I put this down to having half my Thyroid removed last year but it turns out I am suffering from anxiety. I think exhaustion and sleepyness are common in both depression and anxiety.

I have only been on Citalopram for 5 days so can't comment on how it makes me feel yet!

BeckleinDisguise Wed 06-Jul-11 13:21:09

jellybrain, I also have a total lack of motivation too. I wish I'd done something sooner, I feel I've wasted a whole year feeling this way. I feel hopeful that these tablets will work but, being a pessimist, worry they won't.

thingamajig Wed 06-Jul-11 23:36:52

Could be either, or both. Do you take it in the morning or evening? When I took it in the morning, I was lethargic all day, and couldn't sleep at night, so now I take it before I go to bed, and it has made all the difference. Having said that, depression itself is known for making people tired, and I sleep lots when I am down aswell.
You could try doing nothing but sleeping for a couple of days (my MIL and I were chatting about this; it is something we both do that sometimes 'reboots' the system and kick starts us feeling better)

ItsMeAndMyPuppyNow Thu 07-Jul-11 06:55:52

I take it in the morning, but tbh I wake up exhausted already, although I have no trouble sleeping and get a full 7-8 hours per night.

I'll try to sleep all day this Sunday.

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 07-Jul-11 07:03:32

I was like that to start with on Citalopram but am fine now. Looking back I realise I was also exhausted from post natal depression. A little bit of exercise and fresh air helped it to go as well.

ItsMeAndMyPuppyNow Thu 07-Jul-11 08:57:21

Yeah, I think I am being physically exhausted by the C-PTSD, along with however much the medication itself is knocking me for a loop.

Fresh air is taken care of by daily walks with puppy, and a caring friend has just signed me up at her gym, so hopefully what worked for you will work for me too, Dog!

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 07-Jul-11 19:37:30

Well a puppy will definitely help!! And one other thing - I have found that not sleeping past 8am at the weekend and getting up and about has made a difference. Even though tired it has helped with the morning dreads.

ItsMeAndMyPuppyNow Tue 12-Jul-11 21:22:34

Just wanted to report, in case it helps anyone else, that I did as thingamajig suggested and started taking the Citalopram before bed instead of in the morning. Result: no more exhausted feeling in the daytime at all, just like that!

Thanks, thingamiajig and everyone else who posted.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: