Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Very Down...

(3 Posts)
domisqueak Mon 04-Jul-11 16:43:02

I have suffered with depression several times. In the past I have had treatment in the form of counselling and anti-depressants..

I now have a three yr old dd and I am almost certain I had PND although decided not to visit my GP as was frightened of going back on anti depressants again (as at one point pre-baby I was on such high doses of cytalopram that it seriously affected my memory). I have had several lots of counselling which has been effective in the short term.

I currently feel extremely low as my husband is working silly hours (inc weekends) and I just feel totally isolated. We live miles away from my family (due to my husband's job) and due to my low mood I find it really hard to make/keep friends. I do have a few friends locally but none that I feel i know well enough to talk to honestly and openly. I am almost reaching a stage of agoraphobia (which is a sure sign from previous times that I am getting depressed). I feel racked with guilt as my little girl needs to get out and play and I feel so selfish that I am too frightened to leave the house!

I really don't know what to do.. I think I'm going to have to face the music and go see my GP. I just wish there was another way out of this.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you sad

Chocattack Mon 04-Jul-11 21:03:49

Yes I think you're right. You should go see your GP. Alternatively if previous counselling was effective could you have some more? Just thinking that if perhaps you wanted to delay taking anti-depressants you could try the therapy route first. Ultimately though you might benefit from both. Hope you're able to make the first step smile.

ThePathanKhansWoman Mon 04-Jul-11 21:25:01

So sorry you feel like this OP sad, please go and see your GP. I know it's

probably the last thing you want to do, but do try and get out for a stroll,

even a bit of time spent outside an lift us. It can feel so lonely with a small

child [nobody ever seems to mention that do they?].

I do hope you feel better soon, please let us know how you get on, good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now