Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Antenatal depression, lingering PND or am I just being pathetic?

(11 Posts)
PeggyCarter Mon 27-Jun-11 18:02:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PeggyCarter Mon 27-Jun-11 20:35:33

sailorsgal Mon 27-Jun-11 21:21:59

You poor thing, sounds like you have a lot on your plate. Could you speak to your gp/mw? Have you taken ADs before? I wonder if some are safe to take in pregnancy, I think there might be.

Could the landlord not get some rugs or something to put down until you get replacements?

As you have a dd already you should qualify for a homestart volunteer. Its only a couple of hours a week but they could play with your dd and give you a break.

Try to rest as much as poss and eat regularly. xx

PeggyCarter Mon 27-Jun-11 22:34:26

ladypop Wed 29-Jun-11 16:13:42

Hi - I don't think I can really offer any practical advice, othe than speaking to your HV, who I am sure would, if nothing else, be able to sit and chat with you and see if there is anything she may be able to suggest/point you in specific direction.

Other than that, I really do not think you are moaning and it is totally understandable that you are feeling very down. Lots of things have been happening that are out of your control and on top of the fact that you have had severe PND, I am not suprised things have got on top of you!

I would also make a visit to your doctors and discuss if anti-depressants might be a suitable temporary measure for you?

I have had mild PND and know that past episodes of depression (whether post natal or not) can make you likely to suffer again. I am not saying this to be negative, but I think it is sensible to recognise this and get help when you need it.

Hang in there - I am sure you are a great mom and simply going through a really rough patch. You will come out the other side, I am sure!! [smille] but do ask for help - practical and emtional - as there are people out there to help.

ladypop Wed 29-Jun-11 16:14:52

sorry that was meant to be an actual smile !! x

headfullofconkers Wed 29-Jun-11 20:15:30

Sorry, all this sounds shit, OP.

Did your pnd ever get treated, ads, counselling? If not, it could be lingering, unsurprisingly. Or it could be (understandable in your circs) depression and anxiety. Whatever it is, you are not moaning. And you are pregnant, so this is something you need to raise with your midwife. See if she can arrange some ante-natal depression counselling, which should be available if you have a history of pnd. I had ante-natal counselling, and found just having someone to offload to so valuable. I wasn't "cured" of my depression, but I certainly felt like my problems were listened to (no just heard and swept under the carpet) and that someone had my interests at heart.

Good luck x

naturalbaby Thu 30-Jun-11 22:02:45

i'm feeling very similar and not dealing with anywhere as much as you! and i keep meaning to phone the gp and see if i can get some counselling to deal with what i think is depression and anger management issues.

you can't deal with things and just get over it. you need to actively do something to change the way you are feeling, either via a professional or taking some steps yourself. at the moment i'm dealing with things through excercise and relaxation cd's - i did them every day when pregnant for the last few months!

natsyloo Thu 30-Jun-11 22:57:31

Puddlejumper, it sounds like you are juggling so many plates at the moment I'm not surprised you feel down/stressed, completely understandable given your situation.

Try not to panic and think of the whole - break things down into smaller, more manageable issues if that's possible.

I've recovered from a recent bout of severe PND so completely appreciate where you're coming from. You'll feel more vulberable if you're pregnant, in an unfamiliar environment, plus having a little toddler to deal with. Hats off to you for keeping things together.

As others have said, make sure you tell your midwife/HV/GP and friends and family how you feel so you can get the support you need or at least feel reassured that this is at hand should you require it. Not sure if you've had treatment in the past but I found CBT really beneficial in helping me to identify 'triggers' for a low mood and try and tackle it before it gets worse.

Look after yourself and remember help is at hand x

thingamajig Thu 30-Jun-11 23:00:23

JPJ, it sounds like after that run of bad luck, anyone would be feeling down, and you have a highly stressful pregnancy to be dealing with aswell. Are you still near your parent? And could you or you and dd move back in with your parents just until the flat is fixed? - you could do without the extra stress.

PeggyCarter Mon 04-Jul-11 10:33:49

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now