Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Depression and anxiety in pregnancy

(9 Posts)
spritzercat Thu 23-Jun-11 21:08:53

I'm really sorry if I've wondered into the wrong part of the site but would be grateful for any advice about my current problem with depression and anxiety during early pregnancy.

I've been on citalopram for about 2 1/2 years and had a vastly improved standard of life during this time. I've been on a range of doses from 10mg-40mg. I recently found out I was pregnant and was told by gp to come off them asap as there is a high risk of damage to bump (I was on 20mg at the time). I came off them quickly and hoped all would be well.

Well they're not. I've had a bad chest infection for about 6 weeks which has kept me in bed. Furthermore I haven't had a decent meal for about a month due to sickness and nausea.

I realise that coming off the tablets so quickly and not being able to compensate nutrionally (even in a small way) doesn't help; it's just I've hit rock bottom-I'm exhausted physically and emotionally and having lots of symptoms of depression and anxiety that concern me.

My question is, has anyone gone back on antidepressants during pregancy. I am terrified that it will hurt the baby but don't know what else to do.

I've tried to keep details to the minimum so apologies if it doesn't fit together properly.

Ivortheengine8 Thu 23-Jun-11 21:13:05

I'm quite surprised at your Dr although I am not sure about citralopram I have taken fluroxetine during both pregnancies and my Dr's have been fine with it. I think you will find many others have too. Coming off them so quickly is bound to cause problems and I really feel for you.
Definately ask your Dr about switching if he thinks citralopram is not ok becaus ethere are definately ones which are.
If not do try and see someone else.

Ivortheengine8 Thu 23-Jun-11 21:20:07

Theres another discussion about it here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/458711-citalopram-and-early-pregnancy/AllOnOnePage

EsmeWeatherwax Thu 23-Jun-11 21:27:22

I was on sertraline for around two years before I got pregnant, was told to come off it at 5 weeks, lasted two weeks, went to see midwife, who told me to go onto citalopram asap, and that if the doctor refused to prescribe it, then the consultan t obstetrician would do it instead. Went to see another doctor and was prescribed citalopram, although at the lowest dose.

spritzercat Thu 23-Jun-11 21:28:58

Thanks Ivortheegine8. I'll have a look at the other thread. Thanks a gain for the quick reply.

It wasn't my usual doctor who told me to come off them. When I told her I was on citalopram her face dropped, got out one her doctors books and told me the potential damage I was doing to my baby.

Ivortheengine8 Thu 23-Jun-11 21:30:45

Thats ok, hope it helps a little smile
Well if she has to get out her book to tell you maybe she doesnt know much about it?!

spritzercat Thu 23-Jun-11 21:45:45

Thanks EsmeWeatherwax, it's reassuring to know that- I will be booking an appointment with my usual doctor asap for a chat and hopefully something to take the grey away.

Ivortheengine8 very good point about the book! That made me giggle! :-)

Ivortheengine8 Thu 23-Jun-11 21:49:25

Hope it goes well. You will be fine. Just make your point clear that you don't think you would cope well through pregnancy off them. Take care smile

madmomma Fri 08-Jul-11 21:38:13

I'm in the same boat spritzercat. Coming off my fluoxitine 40mg when pregnant was not an option for me, as I'd have been unable to look after my daughter properly. My GP was horrified that I chose to stay on it, but my psychiatrist and obstetrician were perfectly happy, so long as I reduced my dose a bit. There are always risks to medication, but there are also very real risks to untreated depression in pregnancy. It's a horrible decision to have to make, but my son was perfect, and even though he had a rubbish week of withdrawl when I stopped breastfeeding, it was still the right decision for us. I'm now pregnant again and am continuing on a lower dose of fluoxitine as per last time. All you can do is your best. I eat as well as I can, take my vits, rest etc and just visualise my baby happy and healthy inside me. Life is not perfect and we have to deal with the cards we're given. Unfortunately, one of your cards (and mine) is depression -(joy! Thanks for that!). You decide if the benefits outweigh the risks & make your decision. Then FORGET ABOUT IT and try and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. Lots of love to you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now