Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anxiety

(5 Posts)
annielou1 Thu 23-Jun-11 20:35:30

Hi, I have just registered and have plucked up the courage to write my first post here! I have suffered with depression and anxiety for a long time, following the death of my sister 7 years ago. I have tried so many different antidepressants and am currently on 40mg of citalopram, I wouldn't say it helps but think it keeps me relatively stable. I have a 6 month old boy and ever since he was born my anxiety levels have increased tenfold. Have constant churning in my stomach, especially first thing in the morning. I really try and push myself to try and get out the house most days as my son gets really whingy being in the house all day but I find it really hard, I would say I have some degree of social anxiety and whenever I am out I feel like people are looking at me thinking I'm weird or that they can see I'm anxious!
Being at home all day depresses me but being out makes me very anxious and tired so whatever I do I feel bad! Just want to know if anyone else can relate to these feelings of anxiety especially around people. I also find I compare myself to other mums when I'm out and think they look all composed and 'together' even though I know this isn't always the case.
Thanks for reading x

johnworf Thu 23-Jun-11 22:18:58

Hi, it might be worth talking this through with your GP and asking if he could refer you to a mental health team for some cognitive treatment. I am having cognitive behaviourial therapy (CBT) and it's really helped me. There may be other therapies available but your GP should run through these with you.

HTH
smile

annielou1 Thu 23-Jun-11 23:03:49

Hi thanks for your reply. I am on the waiting list for a cbt based group therapy and have heard that cbt can be really helpful with anxiety so am hopeful about that. Glad it has helped you. I currently do art therapy, well i don't really do the art side of it it's more like psychtherapy and i have stuck with it but don't find it that helpful!

Chocattack Thu 23-Jun-11 23:07:55

Hi, I'd suggest contacting your local MIND (assuming you have one). They may do Anxiety Management Courses. You may also be able to get therapies through your gp. I'd go and have a chat.

BeckyBendyLegs Fri 24-Jun-11 07:31:17

I know that early morning churning feeling so well. It does get better but I agree that cognitive therapy would definitely help. I've had some CBT (albeit 18 months after I was referred but that's just the NHS being crap)which has helped with anxiety amongst other things - it's marvelous stuff. It is worth a try if you haven't tried it before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now