Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

CBT to help with phobias - any experience?

(3 Posts)
BeckyBendyLegs Tue 21-Jun-11 14:13:07

Hi there, I'm having CBT sessions to help with my balloon phobia (was originally put on CBT waiting list for help with PND / sleep issues but took so long to get the sessions - 18 months - that the aim was changed to helping me with this phobia!) and it involves gradual exposure, repeated exposure, and going through the anxiety to get past it. It's really, really hard and I find it really stressful but I'm told it works and I have seen some small results, I just wonder if anyone else has had this sort of treatment for a phobia or anxiety issue and whether it worked / how well it worked and whether the result is sustainable? In other words should I keep at it? Thanks x

cupcake78 Tue 21-Jun-11 14:24:23

Yes you can keep at it but I have one word for you 'Rewind'! Technique by the Human Givens for phobia and trauma. It works, is relaxing and would be done and dusted in a few sessions.....much easier than CBT!!

Is very proven to cure fear of flighing, spiders, small spaces etc.

To find a therapist is a bit trickier as it depends were you live but think the internet would be a good place to start.

CBT does work for some basic phobias! So if you kept at it you would get there.

BeckyBendyLegs Tue 21-Jun-11 19:10:44

Thanks for answering me, I will look into the rewind technique. I will persevere with the CBT though as it is free and although it is hard I really want it to work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now