Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I feel like doing some reading

(10 Posts)
lottieloulou Mon 20-Jun-11 17:41:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bittersweetvictory Mon 20-Jun-11 19:26:46

I am looking for the same kind of book, one which actually works if it exists, i have tried a few CDs which helped a bit, this is a good one.
cgi.ebay.co.uk/relaxation-cd-4-stress-depression-anxiety-panic-/140560340343?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Natural_AlternativeTherapies&hash=item20ba0c9577
I ordered CBT for dummies from Amazon on saturday because i was feeling really crappy and know the waiting list for CBT in my area is very long so i thought i would give it a try.
I know the feeling about waiting for the pills to fix me, i have tried just about everything going, paid £150 off ebay for an alpha stim which was a complete waste of money, i am willing to try anything to get rid of this shit depression,

Tchootnika Mon 20-Jun-11 19:35:23

IKWYM re. pills, etc....
Have had to deal with depression for most of my adult life, pills etc. massively helpful, but I've got to say, for me the most important thing is making sure I have a couple of hours fairly intensive exercise outdoors EVERY DAY. I know this might sound basic/prosaic but I really, really can't begin to tell you what a difference it makes. (I basically plan my life around making sure I get my couple of hours because if I don't, I'm like a different person and it aint good...)

Chocattack Tue 21-Jun-11 20:34:51

Ok Lottie, a bit old now so you may have already read this: "Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel". A friend bought me this whilst I was suffering from my first bout of depression. I didn't want to read it because I thought it'd be depressing! But when I eventually read it I found it cheered me up (though not sure whether that's because I was a student at the time so could 'relate').

johnnycomelurky Tue 21-Jun-11 20:51:39

A good self-help book is "Change for the Better: Self-help through practical psychotherapy" - it's based on Cognitive-analytic therapy which looks at both your thoughts/beliefs and the way you relate to yourself and others. Sadly it's not cheap though. Also Compassionate Mind by Paul Gilbert is meant to be really good

For CBT, there are some really good websites that can be accessed for free www.livinglifetothefull.com is a UK based one. There is also an Australian website by the Centre for Clinical Interventions (just google that) which has downloadable workbooks based on CBT for all sorts of difficulties, including depression. Sorry on iphone so not sure how to do links. HTH someone smile

Thingumy Tue 21-Jun-11 21:13:44

I'd recommend 'Mind over mood:Change how you feel by changing the way you are thinking'.

Depression:The way out of your prison -Dorothy Rowe.Her book 'Beyond Fear' is also very good.

I also enjoyed 'The Mindful Way through Depression'.

thingamajig Tue 21-Jun-11 22:23:05

Never found books too helpful, but I did 'enjoy' www.amazon.co.uk/Sunbathing-Rain-Cheerful-About-Depression/dp/0007232802 Sunbathing in the Rain

lottieloulou Tue 21-Jun-11 22:49:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kizzie Wed 22-Jun-11 15:52:17

Would second 'Sunbathing in the Rain'

JambalayaCodfishPie Wed 22-Jun-11 17:13:09

CBT for Dummies?

Had it recommended to me by someone on here, and am about halfway through. Im enjoyng it, and it makes a lot of sense IYKWIM. Which i guess, makes me a dummy. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now