Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Depression?

(11 Posts)
pinkyp Sat 18-Jun-11 23:54:44

Read the symptoms in the Nhs website & I have them all except 1.

midnightservant Sun 19-Jun-11 00:44:19

Which one is that?

pinkyp Sun 19-Jun-11 09:22:39

The suicide one

midnightservant Sun 19-Jun-11 09:59:44

How long have you been feeling like this?

pinkyp Sun 19-Jun-11 10:39:11

Not sure really. Mentioned I had a lot of anxiety to dr & he asked if I could look after my children ok and that was that. Past week I've been really down, irritble, lack of energy to do anything & scared all time.

JambalayaCodfishPie Sun 19-Jun-11 10:43:30

Get another opinion. At my lowest point, making sure my daughter was looked after and at school was the ONLY thing i did.

Did he do the test that gives you a points score? At the very least he should have done.

You could try the website MoodScope too, its sort of along the same lines.

pinkyp Sun 19-Jun-11 14:03:38

I didn't go to the drs for anxiety I just mentioned it whilst I was there. Some times I feel ok

JambalayaCodfishPie Sun 19-Jun-11 14:22:26

Ah, ok, I miss-read.

I would go back, but if your a little apprehensive about going to the doctors again, I would seriously try the Moodscope website for a week or so- you basically answer 20 questions, and it gives you a mood score for each day.

You will see on a graph, how your week is going. Then you could see if you think a trip to the docs is necessary?

pinkyp Sun 19-Jun-11 14:35:11

I will try that thank u, will go have a nosey now

NanaNina Sun 19-Jun-11 16:54:32

pinkyp - I tried Moodscope and it didn't make any sense to me - the line was going up and down on the graph when I was feeling the same each day. Mind please don't be put off because I know many MNs find it helpful. However I don't think you should use it instead of seeing the GP. You must see your GP an tell him/her your symptons - honestly. They have a questionnaire of their own and ask you questions - well mind does anyway. So many people don't want to see their GP because of mental health issues. 1 in 4 people will suffer from MH issues at some time in their life and 1 in 6 at any one time. It is one of the commonest complaints that GPs hear in their surgeries every day. SO you will not be telling him/her anything that he/she hasn't already heard hundreds of times (dependent on how manyyears in practice of course)

It doesn't matter if you're sometimes "all right" - this is the nature of the beast - it can fluctuate quite a lot. Please go and get the help you need.

pinkyp Sun 19-Jun-11 17:41:26

But why did he ask me if I could look after my children ok? I always make sure even if I'm having a bad day - yeh I might not be 'fun' mummy but they'll still get fed, dressed, cleaned, warm, happy etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now