Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Panic attack or am I actually having a heart attack?

(11 Posts)
iMemoo Fri 17-Jun-11 14:06:49

I feel really sick, have an almighty pain in my chest, like somebody has punched me, can't quite get my breath and am sweating all over.

Primalscream Fri 17-Jun-11 14:11:13

Breath into a paper bag ( or your hands if you haven't got one )
Do that now

iMemoo Fri 17-Jun-11 14:12:57

I don't have one but wil breath into my hands

BlessThisMess Fri 17-Jun-11 14:13:03

I don't think anybody except a professional would be able to tell - please get yourself properly checked out straight away! NHS Direct is 0845 46 47 or phone 999 ... better safe than sorry. Hope it turns out to be panic and sending hugs whatever it is xxx

iMemoo Fri 17-Jun-11 14:17:16

Going to phone dh and get him to phone doctor. Don't think I could be coherent enough.

Primalscream Fri 17-Jun-11 14:18:27

breath into your hands now - if it's a panic attack ( which I think it is ) you will restore your breathing to a normal pattern almost immediately and the other symptoms will fade - i'll stay with you until you feel better ok x

iMemoo Fri 17-Jun-11 14:24:53

It is working. My breathing is a lot better, my chest is really sore though. Just going to lie down and concentrate on my breathing. Than you x

Primalscream Fri 17-Jun-11 14:31:31

My pleasure - you may need to do it a few times to restore normal oxygen levels - although the attack has probably peaked now and will subside naturally -

(( hugs ))

if the chest pains continue however go to a&e immediately - And if you carry on getting panic attacks make an appointment with your gp to discuss them x

iMemoo Fri 17-Jun-11 14:38:58

Feeling so much better now, can actually catch my breath. Thanks for being there.

Primalscream Fri 17-Jun-11 14:41:12

Anytime - now go and make yourself a nice cup of sweet tea.

xx

BlessThisMess Fri 17-Jun-11 18:49:58

Glad you're feeling better xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now