Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

What is the point of the crisis number?

(102 Posts)
APieOfButter Thu 16-Jun-11 20:01:06

I have the number in my phone, what counts as a crisis, ie i know actual suicide would, or if someone was running down the street nude, but both them would be covered by 999, surely?
Sorry, that sounds awful. I just mean, am i mwant to ring them if i feel awful, but not like either of the above will happen? Have rung before, but don't remember as was so disteessed at the time. I know at least once they have called the police, and at least once they have told me to just go to bed. So I was wrong both times, but what would they do if i was right?

GetDownYouWillFall Thu 16-Jun-11 21:22:29

Sounds to me that you know they are needed, because you have used them yourself. When you are ill, you need to know there is someone you can call, at any time of the day or night. There were many times I needed to call someone out of hours, but 999 simply would not have been appropriate.

I agree that sometimes their advice is pretty useless (e.g. I was told "why don't you have a nice warm bath" hmm) but I was glad I had someone to call because I was desperate and I was not thinking straight. It also supports the main carer - my poor DH was at a loss what to do with me and didn't know how to help.

I think they are an essential service in mental health TBH.

APieOfButter Thu 16-Jun-11 21:44:02

I'm not doubting thT they ars needed, im just wondering if they think i am wasting time by ringing at the wrong time. Are they just there in sectionable sitautions, or are we allowed to ring for a chat?

HettyAmaretti Thu 16-Jun-11 21:48:25

Look, just call them. You're obviously ready to ask for help.

Chocattack Thu 16-Jun-11 21:50:57

I think you should ring them. You sound like you could do with a 'real' chat.

APieOfButter Thu 16-Jun-11 21:52:15

I get loads of help though. Im not sure what else they could do. I always feel i have to give an ideal outcome and structure it or i can never get it out and i would actually end ul talking about the weatber!

See, tgere i go again. They ask how i am, and i say ok and make a joke and inside i'm begging for them to turn round and say 'you're not, are you.

HettyAmaretti Thu 16-Jun-11 21:55:28

There's plenty they could do. You need just to be straight with them, totally honest. Just call, please.

HettyAmaretti Thu 16-Jun-11 21:57:06

As in, it doesn't matter if you go off at tangents and waffle a bit. Really not. A thing done 'incorrectly' is better than a thing not done at all.

APieOfButter Thu 16-Jun-11 21:57:43

I ask for more help, eg i say im not coping with the kids and they say how and i say eg i get overwhelmed and they say are you feeding them and i am, they get vegetables etc, and they say well you are coping. I was so close to ri.gi.g the ils and asking them to take the kids tonight,
the doctor said it is very bipolar to not like normal emotions but this cant be normal or everyone wohld be dead.

HettyAmaretti Thu 16-Jun-11 22:00:14

Ring them now, hell, ring them every half an hour if you need to. That's what they're there for.

I'm off now. You need to chat to someone real, with a voice. Woman up and do it now wink

ThisIsANiceCage Thu 16-Jun-11 22:09:54

Butterpie, this is your second thread this evening, isn't it? And you're worried about your medicines too?

For that alone, it might be good to talk to them - and is a practical thing they may be able to help with.

They can also help you judge whether to ask the ILs to take the kids tonight. If you're having to take your painkillers in order to cope with the DC, and they're "looking at you funny" (please excuse me repeating from your other thread), you may well need a bit more help tonight than you realise.

Would it help to make yourself a little list before calling, to help you focus on the things you need them to know?

APieOfButter Thu 16-Jun-11 22:23:27

Dh is in now, he says i'm just thinking of excuses not to go to sleep and i should ri.g in the morning. Thing is, if i do amke it through the night, ill feel ok when people aee around and its daytime, and he works late afternokn early evening and that is whn its just me and the kids and when i usually feel worse. Although ive not felt this bad in a long time, i doubt this will go away. Its not as simple as just turning the light off and closing my eyes. What if i wake up in 2 hours and ive lost all grip?

APieOfButter Thu 16-Jun-11 22:26:23

Ive tried to ring 5 times now and got answerphone each time. Dont want to leave a messave in case they ring when im not ready.

HettyAmaretti Thu 16-Jun-11 22:26:56

So, he advised you not to call and the reaffirmed your instinct that you really do need to call. So, call.

HettyAmaretti Thu 16-Jun-11 22:27:54

x post, leave a message. Tell them you need to be called straight back.

APieOfButter Thu 16-Jun-11 22:28:47

Im trying. What do i even say though? Dh asmed me what was up and i just said im not well. Where to even start?

ThisIsANiceCage Thu 16-Jun-11 22:31:45

Oh pet. Well done for persisting with ringing.

Can you articulate that bit about about the early evening to them? Maybe they can help make a plan for getting through that bit.

Glad DH is home.

ThisIsANiceCage Thu 16-Jun-11 22:33:53

Read them some of your posts here this evening?

APieOfButter Thu 16-Jun-11 22:36:21

Left a message. Just my name and phone number, but is a start. Now my mum is trying to get hold of me. Hopjnv she assumes im asleep as cba.

HettyAmaretti Thu 16-Jun-11 22:42:24

Excellent! you can do this sweetie, really you can, good luck. I must go to bed now, it's an hour later here and DC will be up at the crack of dawn.

Tell them everything.

APieOfButter Thu 16-Jun-11 22:42:57

God, now am nervous about them ringing back.

APieOfButter Thu 16-Jun-11 22:43:29

APieOfButter Thu 16-Jun-11 22:49:50

This has nearly run out of battery. Still no reply. Should i leave another messave? Is there something better to say tban just my name and phone number?

APieOfButter Thu 16-Jun-11 22:57:38

Still no call back.

ThisIsANiceCage Thu 16-Jun-11 22:59:58

Oh well done on getting through.

Do you want to make a quick note from this thread and your other one, before the battery dies?

Have a cyber brew with me while you wait, anyway. I have biscuitbiscuitbiscuit...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now