Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Getting desperate

(2 Posts)
feelingdone Thu 16-Jun-11 19:43:02

I have name changed for this.

I have 2 DC (3 and 1) and I'm really not coping. I had thought it was just because of having such young children, but now I'm not so sure. I just feel like I'm losing the plot and I'm extremely unhappy.

I don't know if I am depressed or not, but other people seem to cope ok with 2 (or more) little ones and I can't. I feel like I'm killing myself to look after them and nothing is good enough. Neither of them are particularly difficult, but they are extremely clingy and won't have anyone but me to do things (even when DH does try to help out). I just feel like I'm losing it.

DH just keeps saying that having young children is hard and that's all it is. I feel completely hopeless about the situation and it doesn't help that I don't get any emotional support from DH. I just want to walk out, but of course won't leave the children.

Is this depression or just me being a crap parent? What can I do about it? I'm very reluctant to go to the GP and have this on my records.

RoseWei Thu 16-Jun-11 20:12:54

No, no, no - it is not you being a crap parent. Not at all. These are such familiar feelings - and mine are older but I still feel useless at times. The truth is that I am not useless and that my family would fall apart without me - so would yours. Yours are very young - of course they're clingy - it's natural.

Aside from being a loving Mum, you also have worth in simply being you. You're probably exhausted - I know that fatigue makes me feel lousy, really lousy.

Don't worry too much or at all about your records. I think GPs put very little down and anyway it's a price worth paying if it gets you help and support.

I know also what you mean about lack of emotional support form a DH but mine, although not very emotional/chatty, does support in other perhaps more practical ways.

Take lots of care of yourself and think positive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now