Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

CBT Therapy - Your opinions please.

(8 Posts)
JambalayaCodfishPie Thu 16-Jun-11 12:35:47

Did it work for you?

I suffer from Social Anxiety led Depression, and dont take ADs because of my reactions to them when I was first diagnosed.

I have been on the waiting list for nearly a year, a year which has been horrendous for me - and my supportive DP.

My fear is that CBT has become this miracle 'cure', and im terrified it could 'fail'.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

reastie Thu 16-Jun-11 13:18:16

don't know but watching with interest as I've been refered for cbt and awaiting apt for a phobia/anxiety issue. from what i can find out it's alot of work outside the therpaist room and really helps for lots of people, but not all. I wouldn't pan it as a miracle cure though as I don't think one exists confused . i know what you mean as I feel a bit the same, but, if you think of it as over time and with lots of challenges you will be in a better place than you are now, maybe that makes expectations easier to achieve so you don't feel like a failure when you arn't better the day after your first apt wink

MovingAndScared Thu 16-Jun-11 14:12:17

It worked very well for me - anxiety/depression -
I also found the Dummies guide to CBT very helpful and you could get that now
Have you tried different type of AD - as different one have quite different effects

NanaNina Thu 16-Jun-11 22:39:08

CBT isn't a magic bullet - would that there was one! My CPN introduced me to CBT but she had only done a short course on it, though seemed quite knowledgeable. It is in my view a very simple theory. The basics of it seem to be to stop negative thoughts (the automatic ones that just pop up) in depression and anxiety, and try to replace them with more balanced thoughts. It attempts to stop the downward spiral that we can get into when we think negatively, which in turn affects our feelings, and that affects our behaviour. When I am feeling ok it makes perfect sense, but not so easy when I am having bad days.

CBT is not a miracle cure - far from it, and there is no such thing as failing at any kind of counselling/therapy. It has become a panacea for everything I know, unemployment, redundancy etc as well as anxiety and depression. I think the govt have latched on to it as it is cheap. The NHS usually only offer 6 sessions anyway.

It does not delve into your background and any kind of trauma that you might have suffered as a child, as some therapies do. It concentrates on the "here and now" and attempts to help alleviate some of the worst excesses of anxiety and depression.

There are many books that you can get on CBT while you are waiting - go on to Amazon and type in CBT and you can get them for under a tenner I think. I've got one but can't remember what it's called or where it is - I didn't use it much to be honest. If I find it I'll post the title but I know I got it from Amazon.

quiddity Fri 17-Jun-11 01:37:29

I have terrible social anxiety and tried CBT but it didn't help much. I think that was partly because the therapist wasn't too good, though. She was very sweet and happy and woo-ish and I never felt she really understood how I felt. I found it very superficial and rather muddled, we would jump from one topic to another and she would draw very confusing diagrams of thought patterns—what I was thinking/ought to think etc. She would be ecstatic if I managed to make a phone call as though that was some major triumph and claimed I was making rapid progress when I wasn't and that was very discouraging.
I have tried dozens of ADs none of which worked until I was given Lexapro. It was starting to work but sadly one side effect was to make my hair fall out. I had to stop but have since restarted on a lower dose and am hopeful.
I was also given clonazepam briefly. It was brilliant but some doctors don't like to give it because there's a feeling it's addictive. But the point is there are many different drugs so don't write them all off if you tried one and it didn't work.

MovingAndScared Fri 17-Jun-11 09:31:13

quiddity - does sound like your therapist wasn't very good -and what you ought to think is exactly againt what CBT is about! Doesn't sound like she explained it at all well either

both times I have used it the theorapist has been supportive but challenging at time - which is I think what helped me

JambalayaCodfishPie Fri 17-Jun-11 11:42:53

Ive downloaded the CBT for Dummies book and am going to settle down to read it this aft. Am also seeing my doctor ASAP regarding different APs. Thnks.

cupcake78 Tue 21-Jun-11 13:33:09

Basically it depends on the route cause of your problems. I am a professional in this area and I do use CBT for some of my cleints, but find other approaches, although longer, are far more life changing. For some CBT works wonders especially if the main problem is perception.

If your problem has a deeper route to it then something more will be needed. For me as a practioner CBT is sold by the NHS as a cheap alternative...6 sessions will help with our views and perceptions. Some people can encorporate this into their lives very well and benefit from CBT. Most CBT practioners would agree that even the 6 NHS sessions offered is not enough for 80% of cleints.

I'm putting my neck on the line here but I strongly feel a more long term therapy is necessary for a real change to occur. It doesn't have to cost a fortune and alot of therapists work through charities. People think nothing of spending for £ 60-80 a month on other things to make them feel better (clothes, night out, treats) but are reluctant to invest in themselves in other ways. Most private counsellors will be open to negotiation on their hours rates, especially for commited cleints! Some even do Skype sessions, internet counselling.

If you can afford it paying for a good professional therapist is a real step in the right direction. I know this as I used to be a cleint before I qualified!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now