Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Pschyodynamic counselling.

(2 Posts)
hurryup Tue 14-Jun-11 21:12:08

Having recently left an abusive marriage, and now have a ds that is being even more abusive I started counseling this week. The counsellor has referred me for psychodynamic counseling, does anyone have any experience of this?

NanaNina Tue 14-Jun-11 21:32:27

Yes I saw a psycho dynamic counsellor. They tend to look more at your childhood and the way that has turned you into the person you are today. We are all the product of our experience aren't we, and maybe the counsellor is hoping to understand why you seem to be attracted to abusive men. They will talk with you a lot about your past and the way you were parented and how that might be impacting on the way you are now.

To be honest, this wasn't the right sort of therapy for me and I didn't much like the counsellor ( I was also paying for the pleasure!) she was rather old fashioned and a reminded me of a school teacher. She seemed to be trying to unearth some buried trauma in my childhood that wasn't there, as I'd had a very happy and untroubled childhood, but my first marriage was with an abusive man. I was actually heading for a severe depressive episode and I was getting worse and worse and she was talking about when I was 3. Eventually I stopped going and then soon after took a nose dive and suffered a major depression.

I honestly think the main thing is whether you feel comfortable with the counsellor rather than what method they use. Most of them don't just stick to one method either, they have a few different theories to use, dependent upon what the client "brings" to the therapy. My counsellor was always very interested in my dreams and used to write them down (when I could remember them) word for word and sometimes her interpretations made sense. She did tend to make interpreations from what I was saying, and occasionally she was right, and that was quite powerful, but mostly her interpretation didn't fit.

Please don't be put off by what I am saying. The relationship between the therapist and client is the main thing.

Hope you get some help and support.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: