Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anxiety and depression

(13 Posts)
Madlizzy Thu 09-Jun-11 16:02:29

I've finally admitted to myself properly that I'm suffering from both. Lovely DH, knowing that I have a bit of a phobia with regard to phones atm, phoned and made me an appointment. My doctor is fantastic. Knowing that I've gained a lot of weight over the past year, he's booked me in for full blood tests and has given me fluoxatine, as it's less likely to cause weight gain than citilopram which I've had in previous years. I think I'm going to be looked after, which is a relief. I've taken my first tablet and am floating. grin

runningonmt Fri 10-Jun-11 00:01:25

Oh madlizzy well done for taking such a positive step - the two conditions are so closely linked it is quite unusual to have one without the other - and fluoxatine is a recomended treatment for both.

Make sure you get some freshair and excersise each day if you can - it is so beneficial especially in this good weather. You may not feellike it but make the effort and you will feel so much better because of it.

One day at a time ..... that is all it takes, and when you got to bed each night try to think of a good thing that has happened to you that day.

Tonight you can recognise that you have taken the first and very important step.

Today - I spoke up for something I believe in in the hope it will improve other peoples lives.

Best wishes x x x x x

Madlizzy Fri 10-Jun-11 17:03:19

Thank you. Daft thing is, I'm not unhappy, more just flat. I'm taking one day at a time as I know it takes time to come back up again. I've had to give up alcohol and caffeine for other health reasons too, so all change at the moment.

Well done for speaking up, that's amazing. xxx

runningonmt Sat 11-Jun-11 13:19:51

Giving up alcohol and caffeine would make me a lot more than flat .... keep smiling, it may take a little while but you know that you will start to feel better soon - hugs for you and take care x

Madlizzy Sat 11-Jun-11 14:11:07

I'm pretty dazed today, but not in a bad way. Combination of fluoxatine and no caffeine meant I slept for 12 hours solid.

runningonmt Sat 11-Jun-11 14:42:53

I had 4 hours last night (fluoxitine, minimal nicotine, minimal caffine and certainly no alcohol) owing to a serious family medical emergency - I am hoping for several more hours tonight however I have a son who doesnt sleep much and needs supervising when awake ! I love my fluoxitine as it helps balance everything out - the highs and the lows. It doesnt get rid of my problems it just helps me to cope with them.

Your lovely DH sounds like pretty good medicine too - give him a cuddle from me to let him know that ........ well just that he is a good-gu y and I wish mine had been a little bit more like him (smiley faced emoticon but havent figured out how to put one on here yet but may try doing this smile to see if it works x

runningonmt Sat 11-Jun-11 14:43:46

Hurrah,success brew

Madlizzy Sat 11-Jun-11 14:46:45

I hope your family emergency doesn't turn out to be too serious in the long run.

My DH is so lovely and understanding. He's been through it himself and doesn't bat an eyelid if the house is a shittip when he comes in. He just gets on (after giving me a big cuddle). I'm lucky that my kids are bigger and don't need constant supervision. Yay for smilies. grin

runningonmt Sat 11-Jun-11 15:51:51

Darling (sort of) neice has a pacemaker for last 5 years (she is now 12yrs) and it appeared to go haywire yesterday during school - mad dash after school to nearest hospital 20 miles away after making emergency arrangements for my DS (ADHD), (sort of nephew (type1 diabetic - needle phobic age 13yrs), my dog, her two dogs - local hospital dont know what to do as very unusual for kids to have pacemaker so were on the phone to Royal Brompton in london for blue light transfer early this morning. Just spoken to mum of neice (not my sister but best friend but too difficult to expain here) and after getting stuck in traffic for several hours owing to queens birthday celebrations (they had a fantasic view of the trooping of the colour as they were almost part of it) they finally made it to the hospital - waiting for news at the mo but currently looking excellent as they can might make it home today ! .

It is true to say ..... what doesnt kill you makes you stronger ! x

MarianH Sun 12-Jun-11 09:33:02

running I'm pleased your niece is okay smile.

I'm lurking, having just started fluoxetine myself. It's good to hear that people get on well with it, as I'm a bit anxious about side effects. I'm also prone to overeating and weight gain, so I'm glad that this shouldn't make that worse (given I'm already at least 2st overweight). I just hope it works, as I need a rest from myself.

Madlizzy Sun 12-Jun-11 13:23:15

Glad she's okay!!!! Blimey, I don't think I've ever slept so much. I think a lot of it is to do with caffeine withdrawal too, and the headache from that is a killer. I'm looking forward to having more energy. The fluoxetine does seem to suit me, as in no drastic side effects. I'm getting absolutely naff all done in the house though. Good job the kids can muck in. Marian, welcome to my thread. grin

runningonmt Sun 12-Jun-11 21:23:56

hi marian, welcome to our happy little club. hope you get on ok with the fluox. you should feel the benefit within acouple of weeks. hang on in there as things should get better real soon smile

Madlizzy Tue 09-Aug-11 16:35:43

I'm very much on the mend here, feeling less anxious, more energy but for some reason, my self care has gone down hill. My hair is a bit of a pain to manage, and it's putting me off showering. I'm really going to have to force myself to get in there shortly as I'm fairly skanky at the moment. Think a haircut is in order, that might make life easier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now