Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

My doctor has phoned me twice to do a question and answer thing what happens now?

(9 Posts)
Fernie3 Wed 08-Jun-11 22:40:52

I went to the doctor about a month ago because I was feeling unwell. It turn suit to be side effects if medication that I was on which has now been changed, however while I was there he asked me to fill in two question and answer sheets which apparently showed I have anxiety problems (which I knew) and depression although I don't feel depressed...
He has phoned me twice since then to do it again and wants me to see a counsellor. I know I am very anxious I have anxiety attacks etc but the symptoms I went with were not related to this as it turns out so I'm not sure whether I should just ask him to leave it?
To be honest it has been a hard 18 months so much has happened and so I am not sure if a counsellor will really help as really what can they do also I find it hard talking to people it's bad enough posting on here let alone in real life. I also know that they are busy etc so feels a bit of a waste if I'm not really that sure it will help.

Having said that the doctor seemed concerned and I am feeling a bit shaken I thought I was coping really well with things and not being too outwardly stressed so it was a shock that the phone call today left me feeling quite uneasy.

Any experiences of this would be much appreciated!smile

lottieloulou Thu 09-Jun-11 06:59:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Besom Thu 09-Jun-11 07:12:12

I had counselling for PND and I found it to be brilliant for me, and helped me develop some coping strategies. There are different types of counselling and how useful it is will probably depend on the individual counsellor. But don't write it off.

I was the same as you at first in thinking that there were surely other people who deserved the counselling more than me and I phoned them to try to cancel it - but they persuaded me not to. Also the first couple of times it may not be apparent what the 'point' is but it became very clear to me by the end how much it had helped me. So if you do go, go with an open mind.

Fernie3 Thu 09-Jun-11 17:20:17

Lottieloulou - I have been surprised that he has called he normally seems very unconcerned about pretty much everything that has been one of the things that has caught me off guard actually. I have filled a questionnaire like this in before but lied as it was the hv sitting watching me do it along with MIL who was visiting - years ago now. I answered truthfully this time although the questions which i suppose would raise more concern I didnt answer yes to ( I dont feel in anyway suicidal or out of control example). I am trying to be open with the GP as it would be nice to not be a nervous wreck on a daily basis!

Besom - I think he said ot was CBT counselling ? I do think that there are probably other people in a worse state, in fact I have been much worse than I am now myself ( spent month hiding in the house afraid to go anywhere a fe years ago ) but obviously I didn't tell my doctor so they don't know that!

I am worried that the doctor thinks I'm insane now though as my sisters fiancée went with anxiety a year or so ago and ended up o a waiting list for months whereas the doctor told me on the phone I should be seeing someone in weeks, I have been paranoid that he thinks I am too crazy to wait now ( maybe worrying about this is actually me being crazy though!)

NanaNina Thu 09-Jun-11 17:53:22

Oh Fernie - of course your GP doesn't think you are insane. If that were the case you would admitted to hospital under a section of the Mental Health Act, not being offered counselling. GPs usually refer people for CBT counselling and you usually get 6 sessions free on the NHS. You must not keep worrying about people worse off than you. You are actually admitting to feeling a nervous wreck on most days. The words you are using - insane and crazy have no place in mental health today - they are words that were used in the past when mental health issues were not understood.

CBT counselling is interesting and very easy to understand. It doesn't delve into your past. It helps us to change our negative thoughts to more balances thoughts, so that we don't spiral down and down and make ourselves worse. You are as important as anyone else, and I imagine what has happened is that one of the counsellors has space for a new patient and your GP has contacted you. I think you should agree to go - my god how often do GPs phone us with something helpful!

Fernie3 Thu 09-Jun-11 19:33:06

Thanks nananina I do feel bad most days, I think its just a shock that it's suddenly out there in the world if you see what I mean. I have been reading about CBT on google and it sounds ok so I think I will just wait and go to the appointment and see how it goes. I have decided not to say anything to dh for now as he has been unwell the last year and a half so I think I will leave it so he doesn't worry about it ( I haven't really told him anything that has gone on not that he won't care just that him getting into a downward spiral again will just make things a hundred times worse).

I was thinking today I think the reason that I was so shaken yesterday with the phone call again was that normally people are asking me how other people are not how I am so it comes as a shock when someone asks you directly how your are.

Besom Fri 10-Jun-11 08:06:59

I know exactly what you mean - if you're someone who goes around caring for others and that's your 'role' in life it's weird an unsettling when the focus shifts to you. I was the same. Your thinking other people need it more is all part of the same thing.

I'm really glad your going to go along to see what you think.

NanaNina Fri 10-Jun-11 12:06:14

Hi Fernie - I'm sure you know CBT is not a magic bullet - if only there was such a thing!! Maybe there will be in 100 years time! Is your DH suffering from depression or another kind of mental illness - it sounded a bit as though he was. I can see why you don't want to bring him down, but you are important too, and have needs and I know what you mean about it "being out there in the world" but you know 1 in 4 people will suffer from depression at sometime in their lives, and 6 people at any one time.

I think what I'm trying to say is you must not try to bury how you are feeling and worrying about people knowing. You sound like one of life's carers (takes one to know one) and then it is wierd when it is us that needs to be cared for. I am lucky to have a supportive DH and a few close women friends. My kids all grown and I have grandchildren, but I hate them knowing anything about my depression. Mine fluctuates - 3 or 4 good weeks, then I sink into the gloom again.

Remember you do actually need some help and support yourself now - it's not weakness - it takes strength to get through depression and to tell people close to you how things are for you.

Glad you have decided to go and see what you make of CBT.

Fernier Fri 10-Jun-11 20:24:31

Nananina - yes depression. I have good days where I feel ok. But it seems that if I have a good day it's pretty much always followed by a really bad day.
I tried to speak to dh today but he didn't seen interested and implied I was being selfish so I left it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: