Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

5-HTP anyone?

(11 Posts)
tgisue Tue 07-Jun-11 14:57:08

Hi

The last few months I have been suffering with depression and anxiety.

I have come across references to 5-HTP and was wondering if anyone has used it?

Thanks

Sue

madmouse Tue 07-Jun-11 18:40:29

No, and I wouldn't either. Most recent studies show that the risks and side effects are worse than those of conventional anti-depressants and the benefits less. It's just as chemical as ADs so you may as well go to the doctor and discuss well controlled and relatively safe ADs.

or try St johnswort if you are not on any medication that it can interfere with such as the pill.

Chocattack Tue 07-Jun-11 21:36:07

No I haven't but am interested after a friend loaned me a book a while back("Food is better medicine than drugs" by Patrick Holford - incidentally he founded The Institute of Optimal Health www.ion.ac.uk/index.htm).

madmouse do you have any further details of the recent studies showing the risks and side effects worse than ADs? I'm genuinely curious.

madmouse Tue 07-Jun-11 21:48:51

this is a short overview there are many reference articles at the bottom.

The main risk is serotonin overdose because the drug is not regulated in the UK and you cannot be sure that the dose you take is correct. This can be fatal. There are also risks to blood pressure and potential problems with heart valves.

Chocattack Tue 07-Jun-11 21:50:04

Thanks madmouse - I'm off to read now!

Chocattack Tue 07-Jun-11 21:53:27

Sorry brain dead didn't think of Wikipedia blush

hiddenhome Sun 12-Jun-11 18:27:18

I found 5htp to be great for about two years, then it stopped working. I stopped taking it and the depression got worse and I'm on citalopram now and feeling much better.

nicevideoshameaboutthesong Sun 12-Jun-11 18:28:37

i also used it for a year or so. then i switched to SJW.

topsi Wed 15-Jun-11 18:24:43

I take SJW and tryptophan for depression and insomnia. Think tryptophan is similar to SJW but has less side effects as 5HTP can cause nausea etc. I found taking 5HTP makes me drowsy.

swanny1969 Thu 30-Jun-11 22:20:15

Posted this elsewhere so have copied and pasted it. Dont know what to think now!

Hi I was recommended 5-HTP in the healtth shop today to help with the low feeling, tearfullness, anxiety, lack of sleep general rubbbish feeling I have! Has anyone else tried thhem? I have search net and cannot find many reviews.
Thanks.
Dont want to visit GP yet as I am hoping to stay on top of mood, but yesterday was horrible and I haven't really stopped crying since monday! My kids are 7 and 10 so its not PND.

Julie

topsi Sun 03-Jul-11 12:05:37

Don't know why I wrote that as tryptophan and SJW are not similar. Think I meant 5HTP and tryptophan. If you can get hold of tryptophan it is better tolerated than 5HTP. From a personal perspective I would try a good quality SJW before the tryptophan as I think it is more effective.
Don't be tempted by less expensive brands. I would use Kira or a brand available from USA called perika. Also investigate the dose as one a day is not usually enough and 3 a day is the starting dose in countries such as Germany where it is the most commonly prescribed AD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now