Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

what help do you get with your depression?

(5 Posts)
lottieloulou Mon 06-Jun-11 16:07:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Albrecht Mon 06-Jun-11 16:15:30

I think it really depends on where you live and who you get referred to.

Shame you have to pay for counselling. Is it helping?

I had a family mental health unit near me but then we moved for financial reasons and I was supposed to see the pyschiatrist to get a CPN but have been waiting so long for an appointment I can get to. Thankfully I'm feeling better (partly down to the move I think and partly sorting things out with dh so I feel a bit more supported).

Keziahhopes Mon 06-Jun-11 17:06:46

Lottie, it does depend where you live I think as to what they do. It is up to the psychiatrists here if you need a care co-ordinator, and that is only for those with severe or enduring mental health need... others can access cbt etc through Gp's. However you don't always get a CPN - it could be a Social Worker (SW) or an Occupational Therapist (OT) depending on your situation and who they have free etc.

MadamMemoo Mon 06-Jun-11 20:27:17

I see my psychiatrist every couple of weeks. CPN/ care coordinator every other day ATM. I had several weeks of in patient care at a psychiatric hospital. I also get support from the crisis team as and when I need it. I was very ill though, had a few psychotic episodes, was hearing voices etc.

NanaNina Mon 06-Jun-11 23:00:31

I think Lottie it does depend on the Primary Care Trust in your area. I was allocated a CPN because I was an inpatient for 3 months, and I have been seeing her for a year, was weekly but now monthly. I have been referred to NHS psychologist but am still awaiting appt and I only have the CPN because the psychology dept won't take on anyone without a care co-ordinator, so when the psychology ends (if it ever starts!) so will the CPN. I see the conslt psych every 3 months. He's been today and stayed all of 5 mins, but I'm glad about that because he is a very detached person and has no interpersonal skills at all. Just what you need with a psychiatrist!

I think (and hope) that the service you get is based on clinical need, but maybe I am being a little naieve and it is about finance as much as anything and practice will I am certain differ, dependent upon the way mental health services are organised in your area.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: