Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Terrible mood swings

(2 Posts)
nancy10 Sun 05-Jun-11 21:21:36

I'm 33 years old and really suffering from bad mood swings. It's getting to the point where the bad days are outweighing the good days. I'm constantly snapping at my dh and my 3 dc and I feel tearful, guilty and emotional because of the way I am. My dc can be trying at times which is perfectly normal but I don't feel I handle their behaviour very well and over react to the most stupid things. I've recently had another baby (no 4) and was extremely hormonal through the pregnancy but I also feel my mood swings were there before the pregnancy. My baby is a pretty good sleeper so I don't feel sleep deprived, my dh is helpful so why do I feel this way??? My own mother is pretty miserable and I always told myself I'd never be like her but I'm worried I'm going to end up the same. I also want my kids to look back on their childhood with good memories not remembering me as a miserable old cow. I'm going to mention it to my GP at my 6 week check up. I don't really feel I can discuss it with friends and I don't have a particular close knit family. I can talk to my dh but he just doesn't know what to say! I feel I just need to chill and not take life so bloody seriously. Any advice???

Popbiscuit Sun 05-Jun-11 21:34:49

Hi Nancy. PND can often manifest as mood swings and anger as well as low mood; definitely mention it to your GP. I had it after baby #3...you don't necessarily know that you are suffering from it and medication can be really helpful to get you through until you feel like yourself again. Even a little bit of sleep deprivation can upset your ability to remain calm in fraught situations.
There are so many of us that have been through this. Please speak with someone; I had a good old cry to my GP and she was surprisingly wonderful and understanding. Good luck and hugs x.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: