Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Fucking hell, I need a week off. WWYD?

(6 Posts)
KarmaZBitch Sun 05-Jun-11 19:00:37

I have suffered on and off with depression for years. I have managed to keep it pretty much in check for the last 5 years or so, through a combination of counselling, exercise, meditation and looking after myself (eating and sleeping well etc).

For the last few weeks, I can feel the tension building up and feel like I am heading for another bout of depression. I won't bore you with all the details, but the signs are all there. I feel quite shaky and like I am slipping, if that makes sense.

I have just had a week off work (annual leave), but it has been extremely stressful as I have been caring for a sick relative and trying to balance this with looking after my kids who are off school. My house is a tip, I havent had a minute's peace and I can feel my head getting all cloudy, if that makes sense?

Long and short of it is - I cannot face going into work tomorrow. I really feel like I need to take another week off to get my head straight (visit GP, see counsellor, get some rest etc). The problem is this is a 6 month temp contract, I finish up next month, and because I have been with them a short time and havent had the need to take any sick leave before now, I havent told them about my history of depression. To be honest, I dont really want to tell them.

AIBU to take the week off and lie...or at least be vague about the reasons? To just say I am 'unwell'? I fele really guilty and anxious about taking time off work, but I know that I have the best chance of hauling myself back from the precipice of depression if I take this time off.

WWYD? Am I being pathetic/mad?

All opinions gratefully received.

KarmaZBitch Sun 05-Jun-11 19:01:03

I apologise for swearing in the title! Seems really unnecessary now.

fearnelinen Sun 05-Jun-11 19:06:19

It's a 6 month temp contract - your only priority is you, surely? They don't need to know the reasons and if you have to tell a little story to maintain your privacy then so be it. Much rather that than you go in and break down, unable to fulfill your own work and probably making those around you less productive too (wanting to help, scheduling 121's to look after you e.t.c.).

It's a no brainer for me, take what you need, if you think time off will help, then do it with no guilt.

runnyhabbit Sun 05-Jun-11 19:06:34

No, you are not being pathetic or mad.

Could you go into to work tomorrow, and talk to them? I wouldn't lie, but perhaps be vague. Say that you really think you're coming down with something, and would really appreciate a few days off to get better, iyswim. Depends on how they are with you, iyswim

accessorizequeen Sun 05-Jun-11 19:08:41

Take the time off. Nothing more important than getting on top of your depression. If you've managed to keep it in check all this time, don't let a temp contract foil all of that work. I've fallen from the precipice big-time after a few years depression-free, you forget how miserable it is. And I know exactly what you mean about the shakiness and the cloudiness, I think I ignored the symptoms when they started coming back and now I'm worse than I've been in 20 years. See if the gp will be vague about it with the sicknote, they often will esp if they know you.

runnyhabbit Sun 05-Jun-11 19:08:43

I've just reread the op, and although I've never been diagnosed with depression, you have described exactly how I feel.

Think I'll borrow some advice toosmile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: