Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Herbal Remedies for Slight Depression/Anxiety?

(11 Posts)
CDMforever Sat 04-Jun-11 22:42:25

I've heard of St. John's Wort but that apparently makes you very sensitive to sunlight - not good for me.
Any other ideas?

theanimalswentintwobytwo Sat 04-Jun-11 22:54:58

Ginseng and Ginkgo Biloba are good ones to start with

madmouse Sat 04-Jun-11 23:09:34

The only herb directly working on depression is st Johnswort - I've been taking it for ages and have no problem at all with sunlight and get quite a lot of it due to cycling a lot

CDMforever Sun 05-Jun-11 11:16:08

Thanx all.
Madmouse, what effect does st. john's wort have on you?
Also, just remembered, can you take it if you are on the pill?

catonlap Sun 05-Jun-11 11:30:53

St John's wort can reduce the effectiveness of the pill

CDMforever Sun 05-Jun-11 11:31:59

Blimey! Better give that a miss shock
My baby days are definitely over!

madmouse Sun 05-Jun-11 13:58:45

Well that's that one out then shame

For the record it keeps my mood stable. I had PTSD quite badly and when I stopped making so much adrenaline all the time when I was getting better I got very down and it helped with that. I'm looking to stop in a week or 8 or as soon as I find out I'm pregnant if earlier.

CDMforever Mon 06-Jun-11 10:00:35

Sorry to hear that madmouse, its good that you found something that helps.
I guess I should go to a health shop and see whats available.
As well as feeling down alot I seem to be on such a short fuse too. Poor DCs and DH! Its almost like theres a barrier to me feeling happy (I really haven't got anything to feel sad about) but I can't figure out what it is or how to break it down.

GentleOtter Mon 06-Jun-11 10:05:31

Please make an appointment to see a trained herbal practitioner.

link here They will do a full consultation and be able to prescribe the best course of medicine and dosage for you.

catonlap Mon 06-Jun-11 10:44:09

Perhaps see GP? If like you say you cannot put your finger on why you are feeling low. Consider ruling out an underlying problem which could make you feel run down, underactive thyroid, anaemia etc.

Are you getting enough sleep?

Make sure you are getting a good diet with all required vitamins etc. Keep alcohol and caffeine use low. Take regular exercise.

CDMforever Tue 07-Jun-11 19:53:33

Thanx. Went to a health shop today and was recommended vitamin B.
Bought a jar of multivitamins with a high quota of this.
The assistant said the only side effect is luminous yellow urine, she's bloomin right too grin
catonlap I think the main reason I'm a bit down at the moment is having 2 very demanding toddlers. I'm not the patient, cathkidston-esque type mother I thought I would be!
Then when I feel down/trapped/suffocated/frustrated by my DCs I immediately feel extremely guilty because I'm very lucky to have them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now