Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Just been prescribed Lamotrigine for bipolar

(4 Posts)
auntyfash Wed 01-Jun-11 20:50:55

Anyone else had these? Do they work? Did you get THE RASH? Were there any side effects?

I'm worried about taking them, have had bad reactions to other mood stabilisers in the past, but know I need to be on something. I'm only on 25mg atm but this will be increased weekly I'm told, so long as blood tests etc are normal.

BearBehavingBadly Wed 01-Jun-11 23:11:07

Auntyfash, have pmnd you.

auntyfash Wed 01-Jun-11 23:26:52

Thanks, have pmd you back x

RufusTFirefly Fri 10-Jun-11 22:32:50

Hello, newbie RufusT here.

I started lamotrigine in April as an adjunctive med. I am also on lithium but it wasn't controlling depression. I am now up to 150 mg, having started like you on 25mg. I had the same worries as you. No signs of any rash, and it is helping with the depression. I see the shrink in a week to sort out going up to 200mg.

The rash is very rare and more likely to happen if you are started on the med too quickly, or if already on sodium valproate and this isn't taken into consideration (you have to start even slower). To begin with I itched every time I went up a dose, but only for a day and no rash. Also had headaches and some insomnia - that was sorted by taking the second dose at teatime, not bedtime. Both the other symptoms have gone - and so have my migraines and nerve pain!

This is proving a very good med for me - I hope it will be for you too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now