Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Think I could be bi polar...

(10 Posts)
caija Wed 01-Jun-11 16:42:56

Hi all, any advice at all would help me lots, just starting to realise that I might in fact be bi polar, I have been diagnosed with severe OCD and depression after my kids being born, but now am thinking it is bi polar...I am either high as a kite or proper down, I do however have a lot of stress in life, I have two kids, and my youngest is severely disabled but my moods never seem to be stable....anyone have personal experience on bi polar??

caija Wed 01-Jun-11 19:59:20

BUMP

AuntieMonica Wed 01-Jun-11 20:01:20

i couldn't read your message and run, but am in no way qualified to answer whether you are bipolar or not.

do you see your GP or other HCP about your OCD? And do you get support with bringing up your DCs?

polarbearkimmie Wed 01-Jun-11 20:06:54

www.mdf.org.uk

Its a bipolar website, with a small mouuntain of information

x

MadamMemoo Wed 01-Jun-11 20:10:14

The only person who can diagnosis bipolar is a psychiatrist.

There is a lot more to bipolar than just been really up or really down. It's so complicated and is something that needs monitoring over a period of time.

The best thing you can do is try not to self diagnose and speak to your doctor.

caija Wed 01-Jun-11 20:12:50

Thanks auntiemonica, yeh I am on antidepressants for my ocd and depression, I get 4hrs a week respite for my wee boy , but thts the only help I get, n thanks loads polarbearkimmie xxxx

caija Wed 01-Jun-11 20:20:40

MadamMemoo, it is a lot more than being up and down tbh, or I wouldn't have arrived at ths explanation, have thought it for a long time, have seen psychiatricist's and psychologist's, the psychiatrist told me to keep a mood diary and because of personal reasons in my life at that moment, I didn't go back, I was diagnosed with severe OCD after the birth of my youngest which was 4 years ago, altho I knew I had it deep down, I was always diagnosed with depression before, but I knew I had severe OCD, was a relief when I was finally diagnosed, just feel there is something more to this xxxx

MadamMemoo Wed 01-Jun-11 20:25:10

Get your GP to refer you back and start keeping that mood diary again, then you'll already have stuff to refer to when you get your first appointment. Also keep a record of any reckless or other abnormal behaviours because they'll want to know about these too.

auntyfash Wed 01-Jun-11 20:53:54

I think OCD and bipolar are often co-morbid. As others have suggested, keep a mood diary and go back to your gp for another referral.

DiamondDoris Fri 03-Jun-11 00:16:40

How long are your up phases and do you get hypomanic? They say that anti-depressants can trigger a manic episode in bipolar. Yes, keep a mood diary for at least 2 months (if you can wait that long) just to rule out other things like hormones. I'm still waiting to see a psychiatrist because I think I may have bipolar or a disorder of some type. Wrongly dxd (in my opinion) by GP as anxious because I was full of energy - but good energy! Doctors seem to be hesitant to refer people to psychs these days, I think it's a money thing. So be clear in describing how you feel, your energy levels, your moods and your activities - really important! Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now