Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

PND and Seroxat - feeling worse!

(5 Posts)
Forgottenwhatsleepfeelslike Wed 01-Jun-11 14:56:19

After a long internal struggle have realised I am suffering from PND. Have a 7 month DD who is not a good sleeper and so sleep deprivation is playing a large part. Went to GP today who prescribed paroxetine (Seroxat). Have taken first dose and almost immediately feel worse. Even more tired than normal, very depressed, feeling like I can't cope. Have begged DH to come home from work as terrified I'll get frustrated with DD and unintentionally hurt her. Is this normal? Does anyone else have experience of Seroxat? I am bfing so ADs are limited. DD won't take a bottle so as much as I'd like to stop bfing I can't! Feeling very isolated as we moved to a new area when I was pg and I don't drive so I have no friends I can just pop and see or who can come round. Terrified of going out anywhere as DD's nap schedule is incredibly demanding and if I don't stay in and ensure she naps properly, she gets overtired and doesn't sleep so I don't sleep and everything is exacerbated. Really feeling a bit at the end of my tether and not sure how to cope.

HumphreyCobbler Wed 01-Jun-11 14:59:24

my experience of seroxat is unfortunately very negative - I would go back and ask to be changed to another AD. I know that you have to expect some degree of heightening of anxiety etc after starting an anti-depressant but it was SO much worse on seroxat.

Hope you can sort things out soon

Thingumy Wed 01-Jun-11 17:22:52

I took seroxat for many years,it helped me in the longterm but the side effects when you first start can be awful.

They take 4-6weeks to really work and in the first few weeks your anxiety levels can increase sadly.

I'm surprised that the gp prescribed them whilst you are breastfeeding as I was told it was best not to when I was on them after ds's birth.

I always took Valium alongside seroxat in the first few weeks to counteract the panicky side effects,obviously not a option for you.

Go back to your gp and have a chat but with any antidepressant there are some risks of side effects in those initial first doses.

strawberry17 Thu 02-Jun-11 10:51:38

Hi yes your post brought back painful memories for me and mine are now 17 and 12 so although this feels like hell it really well get better. I was prescribed Lustral/Sertraline while breastfeeding and although it makes you feel wiped out to start with after about 2-3 weeks I felt fantastic, so much better. There are side effects with all antidepressants, they can knock your libido terribly but I suspect sex is the last thing on your mind right now smile. They can take a long time to wean off (for some people) as well.
Just keep in mind "this too will pass".
Wish I lived near you so I could offer a little support.

Forgottenwhatsleepfeelslike Thu 02-Jun-11 21:30:48

Thank you all so much for your replies. I didn't take the Seroxat today and feeling much better. My GP is referring me for some CBT and recommended various things to help my isolation etc. Tempted to keep ADs as a last resort, or at least till when I can stop bfing. DH has also been fab, and I'm starting to feel brighter. (although yes, sex is not top of my priority list!)

Thanks again smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now