Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Beta blockers & anxiety??

(6 Posts)
YommyMommy Wed 01-Jun-11 08:51:58

I am going to my GP on Friday to ask for Beta blockers for a long haul fight the following week. I have been suffering from anxiety for a few years now, but have mostly managed it on my own. However, it's been creeping back more and more lately.

Anyway, was just wondering if anyone else manages anxiety with beta blockers and if there are any un pleasant side effects??

Thank you!

Goldberry Wed 01-Jun-11 09:01:36

Hi. I'm on beta blockers, prescribed for high bp, but chosen over other bp drugs because I had anxiety too. I'm on a very low dose as my bp is now almost normal, but the only side-effects I've had are very cold hands and feet, mainly when I'm sitting still a lot - eg in the evening when watching tv. Other than that, no probs. HTH.

auntyfash Wed 01-Jun-11 21:33:19

Beta blockers are really effective for things like this I find. I've never suffered any side effects from them, and I'm a total wuss normally about meds. I hope they work for you.

GentleOtter Wed 01-Jun-11 21:37:07

I was prescribed beta blockers for anxiety and the only side effect is that they make me feel quite drowsy.

gettingolderbytheday Thu 02-Jun-11 15:57:22

I find them really good for times when you are especially anxious - they make me a little tired after they have worn off but that's all

YommyMommy Thu 02-Jun-11 21:10:53

Thankyou ladies, really appriciate all the comments!

X x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now